I have the time/materials, how should i go about studying?

pkpapn

I have the time/materials, how should i go about studying?

Postby pkpapn » Sun May 26, 2013 2:18 am

I just finished my sophomore year of undergrad. I plan to take the June 2014 test and only take it once. My ultimate goal is a 170. I understand what the test is and what the sections are, but I have never actually studied or taken a practice test before. I understand the importance of this test, and I feel very strongly about dedicating as much time as possible to preparing for this test.

Currently, I have in my possession from either purchasing or hand-downs:

-Powerscore's Logic Games Bible
-Logical Reasoning Bible
-Reading Comprehension Bible
-LSAC's 10 New Actual, Official LSAT Prep Tests with Comparative Reading
-10 Actual, Official, LSAT Prep Tests
-10 More Actual, Official LSAT Prep Tests
-The Official LSAT Prep Test #62
-Some packets printed off from cambridgelsat and harvardready?

I have been reading lots of reviews online, and I know at some point I want to try 7sage as it appears to have a unique approach at teaching LSAT theory that works for almost everybody in a way that other books/classes don't.

POINT OF TOPIC / QUESTIONS:

1. Where should i start? Is it necessary to take a practice test before i start studying? Or could i simply take a practice test after I've done some studying? I'm afraid if I take one now cold, and do poorly, I will lose confidence and only get nervous

2. Anybody with experience with 7sage? The feedback for it is phenomonal, and I want to know if I should do the 3 month or 6 month course. Also when would be the ideal time to start it? After I've finished reviewing all my other material?

Nova

Re: I have the time/materials, how should i go about studying?

Postby Nova » Sun May 26, 2013 3:52 am

You dont have to take a cold diagnostic if you dont want. It really doesnt matter.

You need some books to drill by section. Also, consider getting the Manhattan bundle.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

IMO, You should start by reading the bibles. Then drill as you finish sections.

You mention PT 62, but im sure youll want all the way up to the most recent. Save them as your last PTs, of course.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Sun May 26, 2013 9:24 am

You have more than a year to study and your goal is a 170?

That's loser-talk.

pkpapn

Postby pkpapn » Sun May 26, 2013 2:38 pm

RhymesLikeDimes wrote:You have more than a year to study and your goal is a 170?

That's loser-talk.

Well, I haven't taken a diagnostic test yet. For all I know, I could score a 142 on it. Then, these "exceptional" jumps of 20 points between diagnostic and final test would still leave me with a 162.

For all I know, higher than a 170 could be out of my reach even I had limitless time to study.

Nova wrote:You dont have to take a cold diagnostic if you dont want. It really doesnt matter.

You need some books to drill by section. Also, consider getting the Manhattan bundle.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603

IMO, You should start by reading the bibles. Then drill as you finish sections.

You mention PT 62, but im sure youll want all the way up to the most recent. Save them as your last PTs, of course.

Any recommendations for books to drill with?

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 pm

pkpapn wrote:I'm afraid if I take one now cold, and do poorly, I will lose confidence and only get nervous

That's one of the dumbest posts I've ever read on this site (and I've plenty of dumb posts). If this is your only reason for not taking an exam cold, then you might as well give up and not become an attorney due to your lack of ability to persevere and handle pressure.

I honestly don't mean to be offensive. The LSAT is partially a psychological exam. Most prepared 170+ takers on test day are probably nervous. But they're also confident because they've studied well and acquired all the tools necessary to do well even in a nervous state. Like them, you'll need to be able flexible and adapt. LSAC can and have thrown curveballs on exams. I'm not saying that you should take an exam cold. I didn't. But if that's your only reason not to take it, you, my friend, have a long way to go.

If you don't believe me, what happens if you do all your studying and then you score a 161? Is your life over? Do you give up because after months of studying, you only got a 161? No. You adapt. You study smarter. You start drilling problems that gave you trouble.

Buy all the exams. If you don't want to do all 68, you can buy the most recent 30 or so.

For prep material, I suggest Powerscore and the Manhattan bundle.

As for drilling, I highly recommend the Cambridge series.

totoro

Postby totoro » Sun May 26, 2013 7:47 pm

Agree with the other posters that you should purchase Manhattan books in addition. And also more practice tests.

Also, don't worry about doing poorly the first time. A *huge* part of the LSAT is familiarity. Many people can adapt their approach to do well on the LSAT. Your actual score will be determined by a large extent by how much time and work you dedicate to understanding how the test works.

jwaters92

Postby jwaters92 » Sun May 26, 2013 7:57 pm

deleted

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun May 26, 2013 8:25 pm

pkpapn wrote:Any recommendations for books to drill with?

jwaters92 wrote:Cambridge is an invaluable resource here as well, as others have mentioned.

+1

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/lo ... g-by-type/

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/bundles/lo ... s-by-type/

You can also find them on amazon in sets from 1-20 and 21-40

pkpapn

Postby pkpapn » Mon May 27, 2013 1:18 am

Well, I took the 1993 test cold and scored a 168.
I'm really happy with that (obviously), but I realize it isn't realistic because i took breaks between the sections (kept getting interference from the outside world).

My question about the cambridge books, are those the same questions that are in the tests in "10 Actual, Official LSAT Preptests" and "10 More..."? Because these books say they contain tests "7,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,18" and "19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28".

If the cambridgelsat ones contain the same questions then wouldn't that ruin the preptests for me because I would recognize the question and remember the answer when I go to take the test?

jwaters92

Postby jwaters92 » Mon May 27, 2013 1:50 am

deleted

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”