Maint Point Questions RC

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
User avatar
ashley82929

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Maint Point Questions RC

Postby ashley82929 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:01 pm

Does anyone have advice specifically for main point questions in RC? that is by far my worst question type and I am consistently struggling with it.

User avatar
ManoftheHour

Gold
Posts: 3488
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Tagging. For some reason, it's my worst question type as well. On my last PT, I got -4 on my RC. 2 of them were main point questions. It's a trend that I've noticed for myself. I thought eventually, I'd be able to nail them but it has not been the case.

What baffles me is that I can often get every other question on entire passages right but somehow miss the main point question.

062914123

Gold
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby 062914123 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:03 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

totoro

Bronze
Posts: 153
Joined: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:55 pm

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby totoro » Sat May 25, 2013 9:22 pm

Two things:

1. It can be very dangerous to generalize about questions on the LSAT, since there are always exceptions, but, to generalize: in my experience I think correct Main Point RC answers lean towards more conservative/safe choices. Basically you want to choose the answer you have to try the least hardest to justify. Wrong answers often focus too much on one passing point or change the extremity of the author's attitude.

2. Many RC passages are phrased like an argument (either the author is showing two points of view without taking a side, advocating one side, or coming up with his/her own side). So think of the RC passage just as one long LR stimulus.. the main point is someone's conclusion. So what are they concluding or what are they doing to come to their conclusion?

User avatar
elterrible78

Silver
Posts: 1119
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:09 am

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby elterrible78 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:07 pm

ashley82929 wrote:Does anyone have advice specifically for main point questions in RC? that is by far my worst question type and I am consistently struggling with it.


I don't have any advice, but look for a user named Micdiddy. This is his specialty.

User avatar
dw3

New
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby dw3 » Sat May 25, 2013 10:10 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
ashley82929 wrote:Does anyone have advice specifically for main point questions in RC? that is by far my worst question type and I am consistently struggling with it.


I don't have any advice, but look for a user named Micdiddy. This is his specialty.


Here.

User avatar
ashley82929

New
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby ashley82929 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:04 am

bee wrote:
Also, the main point isn't necessarily the same as the main topic or the purpose of the passage.



what exactly would you say is the difference?

062914123

Gold
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby 062914123 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:19 am

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Micdiddy

Gold
Posts: 2228
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby Micdiddy » Sun May 26, 2013 4:18 pm

elterrible78 wrote:
ashley82929 wrote:Does anyone have advice specifically for main point questions in RC? that is by far my worst question type and I am consistently struggling with it.


I don't have any advice, but look for a user named Micdiddy. This is his specialty.


I use the "feel" strategy. As in, if I "feel" one is right, I choose it without regard to evidence.
Works for me about 50% of the time!

bp shinners

Gold
Posts: 3086
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Maint Point Questions RC

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 28, 2013 10:47 am

bee wrote:Again, this is how I understand it. HTH.


Great breakdown of those question types!



Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest