153

tyler90az
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

153

Postby tyler90az » Sat May 25, 2013 7:27 pm

I have very passively studied for the last few weeks. Today starts my real preparation for the LSAT that I will take in June. My first score is 153 and my goal is 160-165. Can I do it? What score do people usually start at? Advice?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 153

Postby Nova » Sat May 25, 2013 7:39 pm

Wait till October

Get these materials viewtopic.php?f=6&t=195603
Last edited by Nova on Sat May 25, 2013 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: 153

Postby itachiuchiha » Sat May 25, 2013 7:40 pm

I really hope you are talking about June 2014 and not June 2013. If June 2013 is what you meant, POSTPONE

tyler90az
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: 153

Postby tyler90az » Sat May 25, 2013 7:41 pm

I want affirmation not truth. :mrgreen:

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 153

Postby Br3v » Sat May 25, 2013 7:43 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:I really hope you are talking about June 2014 and not June 2013. If June 2013 is what you meant, POSTPONE

Trajectory
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: 153

Postby Trajectory » Sat May 25, 2013 7:44 pm

I was about to say a few things and hopefully help out.....I started off at a 155 on the real test. Now Im PTing around 168-169...shooting for 170+. Then I got to where you said "Today starts my real preparation" for the June LSAT. Did I misread that? Can you explain? Its not happening over night man

tyler90az
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: 153

Postby tyler90az » Sat May 25, 2013 7:46 pm

Trajectory wrote:I was about to say a few things and hopefully help out.....I started off at a 155 on the real test. Now Im PTing around 168-169...shooting for 170+. Then I got to where you said "Today starts my real preparation" for the June LSAT. Did I misread that? Can you explain? Its not happening over night man


How long have you been prepping for?

User avatar
patfeeney
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:47 pm

Re: 153

Postby patfeeney » Sat May 25, 2013 7:53 pm

tyler90az wrote:How long have you been prepping for?


Most of the people on this forum have been studying for at least 3-4 months. Several of those people have studied that much for a first, or even second, retake. I personally started cracking down in January, and I bought my first prep book last June. I'm taking it for the first time in 16 days. My PT score went from a 158 to about a 168, where it is now.

Going from 163-165 in two and a half weeks is probably impossible, and you should definitely not count on it.

Trajectory
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:04 pm

Re: 153

Postby Trajectory » Sat May 25, 2013 8:04 pm

tyler90az wrote:
Trajectory wrote:I was about to say a few things and hopefully help out.....I started off at a 155 on the real test. Now Im PTing around 168-169...shooting for 170+. Then I got to where you said "Today starts my real preparation" for the June LSAT. Did I misread that? Can you explain? Its not happening over night man


How long have you been prepping for?


I started in August for the October 2012 one that I took and got a 155 on. Had to stop until this yea January. Picked it back up again, hard. Like the above poster said...it takes months. For some, maybe less...but MONTHS for most, from what I've seen. So can you explain a bit by what you meant? Getting a 160+ in this short time span just plain and simple wont happen.

User avatar
dw3
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: 153

Postby dw3 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:12 pm

Br3v wrote:
itachiuchiha wrote:I really hope you are talking about June 2014 and not June 2013. If June 2013 is what you meant, POSTPONE


+2

tyler90az
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: 153

Postby tyler90az » Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm

[/quote]
I started in August for the October 2012 one that I took and got a 155 on. Had to stop until this yea January. Picked it back up again, hard. Like the above poster said...it takes months. For some, maybe less...but MONTHS for most, from what I've seen. So can you explain a bit by what you meant? Getting a 160+ in this short time span just plain and simple wont happen.[/quote]

That is a great improvement!

I have studied a few problems a few days a week for the last month. Mostly focusing on the Logic Games section. The strategies have not helped me at all, when I solve, it looks like a little kid marked all over the paper. Today marks the first day I will be able to focus almost solely on the LSAT. That is something I have not had the luxury of doing over the last month.

My score was similar throughout each section, 9-10 wrong. I do not even think that is an accurate reflection of where I am at right now. Reason being, on the practice reading comprehension I get most of them right when just practicing. This test for some reason, I ended up getting the most wrong out of every section, 10. Also, I am only able to finish three sections of the LG questions right now.

It seems like I will need a miracle.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 153

Postby Nova » Sat May 25, 2013 8:36 pm

tyler90az wrote:It seems like I will need a miracle.


You just need to spend more time. The LSAT is more important than 4 years of undergrad. You should treat it that way.

User avatar
wtrc
Posts: 2057
Joined: Mon May 30, 2011 9:37 pm

Re: 153

Postby wtrc » Sat May 25, 2013 8:39 pm

Assuming OP isn't someone just messing with us...

1) you're aiming too low

2) This isn't a semester midterm test, it's the most important test of your life... I really hope you take everyone's advice and wait, at least until October. When you have a 170+ score, it'll be very much worth it from the borderline 160 you could get lucky with in 2 weeks.

I studied 3 months for my first take 2 years ago, while in school FT, it wasn't enough to get where I wanted to be. C'mon now...

itachiuchiha
Posts: 907
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: 153

Postby itachiuchiha » Sat May 25, 2013 9:20 pm

dude, you are fucked

tyler90az
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: 153

Postby tyler90az » Sat May 25, 2013 9:23 pm

wtrcoins3 wrote:Assuming OP isn't someone just messing with us...

1) you're aiming too low

2) This isn't a semester midterm test, it's the most important test of your life... I really hope you take everyone's advice and wait, at least until October. When you have a 170+ score, it'll be very much worth it from the borderline 160 you could get lucky with in 2 weeks.

I studied 3 months for my first take 2 years ago, while in school FT, it wasn't enough to get where I wanted to be. C'mon now...


I am not joking at all. My plan is to take a PT everyday and review thoroughly everyday until June 8th. Then take the real deal on the 10th, if I am in the 160s. Are my goals improbable? Yes. Impossible? No.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: 153

Postby Nova » Sat May 25, 2013 9:29 pm

tyler90az wrote:My plan is to take a PT everyday and review thoroughly everyday until June 8th.


Thats a really inefficient way to improve. You ought to do some type of drilling too. http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=41657

And have you read the Powerscore bibles or Manhattan guides??

User avatar
dw3
Posts: 48
Joined: Fri May 24, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: 153

Postby dw3 » Sat May 25, 2013 9:32 pm

itachiuchiha wrote:dude, you are fucked


+3.

User avatar
UnicornHunter
Posts: 13479
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: 153

Postby UnicornHunter » Sat May 25, 2013 10:27 pm

Not sure why you're aiming for a 160-165. If you have a reason to take the LSAT, you have a reason to score as high as possible. Even if you're gunning for Cooley, you'll go to Cooley for less money if you have a 170 vs 160. There is literally no reason to have a target score that's not 180.

That being said, I'm not as doom and gloom as most people here. My LSAT prep was limited to using 2 prep books (both sub-standard, i.e. Princeton Review or something like that, one general and one LG specific) and maybe 4-8 practice tests. I scored a 173, so it's possible to do well as long as you become familiar with the structure of the test and have a natural talent for a certain type of test.

HOWEVER, I would never recommend the above approach, and I wish I had stumbled onto TLS before I took the LSAT (I'm considering a retake). The test can save you hundreds of thousands of dollars and doing well can increase your earnings potential by SEVEN figures. It's worth doing well on.

Despite what I just said, make sure you're relaxed on test day. My one advantage when I took the LSAT was that I didn't realize how important the test could be, and I remember laughing to myself at the people who were visibly nervous. The average test-taker scores significantly lower on test day than their practice exams would indicate they should and extreme nervousness probably explains a lot of that.

User avatar
mattviphky
Posts: 1117
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 pm

Re: 153

Postby mattviphky » Sun May 26, 2013 12:05 am

tyler90az wrote:

I have studied a few problems a few days a week for the last month. Mostly focusing on the Logic Games section. The strategies have not helped me at all, when I solve, it looks like a little kid marked all over the paper. Today marks the first day I will be able to focus almost solely on the LSAT. That is something I have not had the luxury of doing over the last month.

My score was similar throughout each section, 9-10 wrong. I do not even think that is an accurate reflection of where I am at right now. Reason being, on the practice reading comprehension I get most of them right when just practicing. This test for some reason, I ended up getting the most wrong out of every section, 10. Also, I am only able to finish three sections of the LG questions right now.

It seems like I will need a miracle.


This just means you haven't become efficient with the strategies yet. Just keep practicing the strategies and once you get your accuracy down, you will start becoming more efficient, and then you'll start becoming faster. You should also aim high. There is no reason to not set high goals for yourself. LG is the easiest section once you understand how to do it. You should go into the LSAT with like a 99% accuracy on LG. I remember getting like -13 on my first prep test LG section. By the end of my studying I was hitting -0 consistently. It's not a very intuitive section, but it is the most learnable. Seriously, I'm a dipshit, and I picked it up.

User avatar
jrsbaseball5
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:41 pm

Re: 153

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Sun May 26, 2013 12:26 am

tyler90az wrote:
wtrcoins3 wrote:Assuming OP isn't someone just messing with us...

1) you're aiming too low

2) This isn't a semester midterm test, it's the most important test of your life... I really hope you take everyone's advice and wait, at least until October. When you have a 170+ score, it'll be very much worth it from the borderline 160 you could get lucky with in 2 weeks.

I studied 3 months for my first take 2 years ago, while in school FT, it wasn't enough to get where I wanted to be. C'mon now...


I am not joking at all. My plan is to take a PT everyday and review thoroughly everyday until June 8th. Then take the real deal on the 10th, if I am in the 160s. Are my goals improbable? Yes. Impossible? No.


Why not postpone until October, which will have virtually no effect on your application and give you a much better shot at 170+ instead of 160? As someone else said that could be a six or seven figure difference over your career. You are treating this test way too lightly.

User avatar
Br3v
Posts: 4174
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:18 pm

Re: 153

Postby Br3v » Sun May 26, 2013 12:50 am

I studied for this test for the score I wanted for a total of 10 months. If you think you can just "practice from now till June 8th" and score where you want, you are wrong.

User avatar
objection_your_honor
Posts: 625
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: 153

Postby objection_your_honor » Sun May 26, 2013 12:52 am

If you really just want a 160, buy Manhattan's LG book and read it in 3 days. Then take PTs and review, I guess.

tyler90az
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri May 03, 2013 6:41 pm

Re: 153

Postby tyler90az » Sun May 26, 2013 12:54 am

My new goal is 170 by October.

User avatar
Clearly
Posts: 4165
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:09 pm

Re: 153

Postby Clearly » Sun May 26, 2013 12:56 am

tyler90az wrote:My new goal is 170 by October.

Prep for 180.

The LSAT Trainer
Posts: 621
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 am

Re: 153

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sun May 26, 2013 12:57 am

The power of tls -- it took tyler90az exactly 5 hours to become a whole new person -- always nice to raise the expectations -- good luck.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ladymew, MSNbot Media and 13 guests