reading comp help :(

inevitable510

reading comp help :(

Postby inevitable510 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:48 pm

My last PT I scores -8 on LR, -0 on LG, and -7 on RC...
HOW can I fix my reading comp score before June test? I haven't done many rc drills, should I start on those? Its usually the last two passages (the hardest) that throw me off.

Thanks.

ManOfTheMinute

Re: reading comp help :(

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri May 24, 2013 2:54 pm

inevitable510 wrote:My last PT I scores -8 on LR, -0 on LG, and -7 on RC...
HOW can I fix my reading comp score before June test? I haven't done many rc drills, should I start on those? Its usually the last two passages (the hardest) that throw me off.

Thanks.

You havent done any drills? Your score sucks. Hmmm.

I suggest doing drills... hahaha. Also, try reading WSJ, economist, etc.

inevitable510

Postby inevitable510 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm

Well I review my mistakes from the PT and then I fix what I did wrong. Its just the RC section that prevents me from busting to my goal of 170+!!

inevitable510

Postby inevitable510 » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm

But yes I will do drills!!! Hope its not too late.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 24, 2013 3:08 pm

inevitable510 wrote:But yes I will do drills!!! Hope its not too late.

Have you spent two minutes thinking about RC approach? Learn an approach first, then drill that approach.

muskies970

Postby muskies970 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:11 pm

inevitable510 wrote:My last PT I scores -8 on LR, -0 on LG, and -7 on RC...

Thanks.

are you tired by the last two sections? making sloppy mistakes? or just not understanding the questions and doing it wrong?

objection_your_honor

Postby objection_your_honor » Fri May 24, 2013 3:15 pm

There are a million RC threads.

inevitable510

Postby inevitable510 » Fri May 24, 2013 3:17 pm

Just not understanding the question and doing it wrong. Order of section hasn't been a problem

E pluribus unum

Postby E pluribus unum » Fri May 24, 2013 6:49 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:There are a million RC threads.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 26, 2013 11:56 pm

Younks

Postby Younks » Mon May 27, 2013 12:34 am

I have a question as well that fits this thread -

Does anyone have advice on how to do the "what's the structure of this passage" questions?

Clyde Frog

Postby Clyde Frog » Mon May 27, 2013 5:06 pm

Younks wrote:I have a question as well that fits this thread -

Does anyone have advice on how to do the "what's the structure of this passage" questions?

Try taking a look at Mike Kim's new book in the RC section and also they are similiar to the method of reasoning questions from LR.

senioritis13

Postby senioritis13 » Mon May 27, 2013 10:19 pm

I just had a score jump with RC! Here's what helped me:

Reevaluate how much you're annotating. I dropped the Kaplan method and the one advocated in an above link that favors heavy annotating and started only writing a about 5-6 words at the end of each paragraph to summarize the main point of that paragraph. If there are names I think I'll be asked about, I circle them, but I'm very careful about how much I circle and underline. This forces me to get through the passage much more quickly because I'm writing/circling less, but I can read more slowly and thus retain more. After I read it through once, I skim what I wrote at each paragraph so I have the overall structure memorized and a somewhat good idea of where certain details are if I need to reference back. I think this is close to the 7sage memory method. When I started this approach it took me about 3.5 minutes to read through a given passage and annotate/review it, but after practicing it more I'm down to about 2.5-3 minutes, which gives me plenty of time for questions.

Then I proceed to the questions, where I also had to change my approach lol. Instead of looking immediately for the right answer, look to eliminate incorrect ones. Don't eliminate an answer unless you're sure it's incorrect (you don't want to go back and review an answer you already crossed off). I found that it helps me to cross out the part of the answer I think makes it wrong, too. If I'm down between two answers, you should have a good idea of where in the passage you can quickly reference to choose between the two. This will seem really tedious and time consuming, but I swear you get fast at it after a few passages of drilling.

Lastly, really review why you're getting answers wrong and even ones you got right that you weren't 100% sure about. I've been writing next to the wrong answer choices that I thought were attractive what specifically about that choice was incorrect. You really start to pick up on similarities between wrong answer choices you're falling for, so as annoying as this lengthy review is, it helps tremendously.

Good luck!

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 28, 2013 11:03 am

Younks wrote:I have a question as well that fits this thread -

You should be tagging the role of each section of the passage as you go through it. If you do that, these questions become a manner of finding the one that aligns with your tags.

Tagging the role will also help you quickly navigate the passage when you need to find something for a Specific Reference question.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”