LSAT prep books you should avoid

cahwc12

Re: LSAT prep books you should avoid

Postby cahwc12 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:41 am

steven21 wrote:not a prepbook but avoid the lsatblog study guides

His guides are awesome. I actually point my own students there for supplemental prep because his posts are so useful. Why do you dislike them?

SRejman0908

Postby SRejman0908 » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 am

Can someone please tell me what prep books are the best? There is so much information. I am looking at the LSAC.org preptests booklets. I have not purchased anything as of yet.

patfeeney

Postby patfeeney » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:44 pm

SRejman0908 wrote:Can someone please tell me what prep books are the best? There is so much information. I am looking at the LSAC.org preptests booklets. I have not purchased anything as of yet.

Powerscore
Manhattan
Blueprint
Testmasters?
LSAC PT books
Cambridge Drill packets
etc.

steven21

Postby steven21 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:10 pm

cahwc12 wrote:

His guides are awesome. I actually point my own students there for supplemental prep because his posts are so useful. Why do you dislike them?

I asked the person behind the guides for advice last August. I was scoring the in the mid 150s. I asked him would December be enough time to get to the 170s and he responded saying yes you should purchase the 3-month study guide to get there. I did that and completed it and my scored stayed in the mid 150s after 3 months.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:56 am

steven21 wrote:
cahwc12 wrote:

I asked the person behind the guides for advice last August. I was scoring the in the mid 150s. I asked him would December be enough time to get to the 170s and he responded saying yes you should purchase the 3-month study guide to get there. I did that and completed it and my scored stayed in the mid 150s after 3 months.

I'm sorry to hear your score stayed in the 150s! I don't recall our exchange, but it has been nearly a year since last August. My advice for anyone in your situation back then likely would have been that the day-by-day study plans can certainly help, and that it's *possible* to increase your score from the mid 150s to the 170s in 3-4 months, but it would take a tremendous amount of work. (The study plans tell you what to study, and when to study it. Then, if you master the practice tests, you're likely to do extremely well on Test Day.)

Also, please keep in mind that anyone's potential top score is based on a variety of factors, including innate ability, overall health habits, diet, exercise, adequate sleep, and other responsibilities.

Those of you who are familiar with my blog will know I strive to reflect my materials as accurately as possible and don't make sensationalistic claims. I'm not interested in making a quick buck - I'm here for the long haul.

Many of my blog readers have been happy with my study plans, including several TLS users:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=149056
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=173079
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=183700
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=192244
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=198899
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=209508

Is there anything in particular about my study plans you found lacking? If there's anything you believe needs improvement, please feel free to reply here or email me (this includes anyone reading this). I'm always working to improve my study materials.

Additionally, if you completed all the work assigned in the study plan and feel dissatisfied with it, please email me, and I'll give you a full refund for your purchase. I want everyone who uses my study plans to be completely satisfied with them.

Tyr

Postby Tyr » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 am

I'd add the Fox Test Prep books to the list of prep books to avoid. They just don't hold up to the superior products available.

EarlCat

Postby EarlCat » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:48 pm

CalAlumni wrote:Anything with fake LSAT questions should be avoided at all costs, esp. since there are so many real PT's available.

Pretty much. Books with real questions will have a footnote or endnote telling you what actual preptest they came from.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”