Diary for my LSAT (includes brief notes)

rebel94

Diary for my LSAT (includes brief notes)

Postby rebel94 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:44 am

Hello All!,

The following will be a daily (I'll try =) ) diary of my progression towards my LSAT. I will initially use the Princeton Review (2012) as an initial start off towards preparing for the LSAT. I plan to do the powerbiles and specific sets of earlier LSATS as I progress. There isent a specif scheduale I'll follow but as I aforementioned, as I progress you will see what I am doing/learning/applying the concepts so you can also learn =)

Materials So Far:

[ ] Princeton Review: "Cracking the LSAT" (2011 edition)
> Started May 21, 2013

(More to be added)

rebel94

Re: Diary for my LSAT (includes brief notes)

Postby rebel94 » Fri May 24, 2013 12:44 am

Entry 1: May 23, 2013

What did I learn?

1. Basics of the LSAT including the 5 sections, the reasons for writing the LSAT, admission process and ~10 techniques (mantras) to remember just before writing the LSAT (remember to breath, pace yourself, e.t.c).

2. Arguments!

> I decided to start with logical reasoning (called arguments) as I figured lets start with the big boy stuff first haha! It does account for 50% of the exam so why not?

What did I learn?

LR have 2 sections to often solve. Author's conclusion and premises. Once you figure out these two you need to see any assumptions (logic or idea that links the premises/evidence to the main point/conclusion, often illogical but accepted as true) that the author has made. Always remember the formula [ Premises + Assumptions = Logic], there is always a gap that the assumption fills in!

Types of LR covered so far: Main Point, Necessary Assumptions, and secondary assumptions (less dependent assumptions).

1. MP uses the key word "main point", often you have to see the conclusion to anwser this

2. NA uses the key word "relies', "dependent", you have to identify both Assump. and Premises then see the connection between the two. Identify what assumption is established so the author can make his main/final idea (conclusion),

3. SA uses the key word "supports", again identify components of the argument then see what anwser choice would support the premises.

** If the anwser choice is too extreme in language ('most', 'greatest') or uses diction not used in the argument then thats not the choice **

Negation Test:

Used if there are two choices left. Add in 'NOT" or 'Its not true that' to the choice. If the choice falls apart and breaks down the connection with the conclusion , DING DING DING you got a winner =)

supernma

Postby supernma » Fri May 24, 2013 12:49 am

rebel94 wrote:Hello All!,

The following will be a daily (I'll try =) ) diary of my progression towards my LSAT. I will initially use the Princeton Review (2012) as an initial start off towards preparing for the LSAT. I plan to do the powerbiles and specific sets of earlier LSATS as I progress. There isent a specif scheduale I'll follow but as I aforementioned, as I progress you will see what I am doing/learning/applying the concepts so you can also learn =)

Materials So Far:

> Started May 21, 2013

(More to be added)

Save yourself the time and don't use Princeton Review

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Fri May 24, 2013 1:24 am

supernma wrote:
rebel94 wrote:Hello All!,

Materials So Far:

> Started May 21, 2013

(More to be added)

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri May 24, 2013 1:27 am

supernma wrote:

+1

Use Manhattan.

Balthy

Postby Balthy » Fri May 24, 2013 1:42 am

I see the idea and the many benefits of keeping this sort of journal. You will probably understand things a bit better and the public aspect should motivate you. However, I tried something like this (not public though) and --jeezus effin christ-- it's just too time-consuming to detail every major type of inference or logical insight you learn for the LSAT. There's just going to be too much, so unless you're planning on taking a year to study, or if this is just supposed to be a journal on getting to the 160s, or if you plan on making this thing much less detailed as you go along, you may want to consider other options for enhancing motivation/learning. Or maybe you're a badass and you'll write a whole book while studying for the LSAT; I'm not denying that possibility. Good luck.

supernma

Postby supernma » Fri May 24, 2013 1:46 am

superdingle2000 wrote:Or maybe you're a badass and you'll write a whole book while studying for the LSAT; I'm not denying that possibility. Good luck.

This.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri May 24, 2013 1:49 am

Seriously. Drop that book in the trash, and buy the Manhattan set. Its worth it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”