RC crapshoot (volatile - good and bad at random) *HELP*

bdeans91

RC crapshoot (volatile - good and bad at random) *HELP*

Postby bdeans91 » Thu May 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Just an illustration of how random RC is.
I got -11 on RC my last PT (65) and so I only got a 166. 8 mistakes outside of RC.

So I prepared the last two days. Got a method for RC. Improved my timing strategy, etc.

Today I did PT 66:
RC: -7
LR 1 and 2: -0 each
LG: -1

RC 52 (experimental): -0

So basically my approach is great outside of RC. And I might even have a good RC approach?! Who knows. -7 and -0 on my respective RC sections. Scary, really.

Any strategies for becoming more consistent with RC? I find it difficult enough as is coming up with a method for reviewing it.

Micdiddy

Re: RC crapshoot (volatile - good and bad at random) *HELP*

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 24, 2013 2:01 pm

bdeans91 wrote:Just an illustration of how random RC is.
I got -11 on RC my last PT (65) and so I only got a 166. 8 mistakes outside of RC.

So I prepared the last two days. Got a method for RC. Improved my timing strategy, etc.

Today I did PT 66:
RC: -7
LR 1 and 2: -0 each
LG: -1

RC 52 (experimental): -0

So basically my approach is great outside of RC. And I might even have a good RC approach?! Who knows. -7 and -0 on my respective RC sections. Scary, really.

Any strategies for becoming more consistent with RC? I find it difficult enough as is coming up with a method for reviewing it.

Usually this kind of fluctuation means you have no solid approach to RC and are basically brute forcing your way through every passage, which can work out, or can be disastrous. Come up with some kind of approach you can apply to every passage (or buy one). One of the toughest things for people to do on RC is get used to the idea that all passages are basically the same, will test the same concepts will have the same question types, etc. only the subject matter really changes. Having a consistent approach helps one look past the subject matter and not get thrown off by science passages or law passages or other ones that are superficially difficult.
It's a good sign that you can do so well on RC w/o a consistent approach, and you clearly have a deep understanding for the other two sections, so find a good approach and use your intuition as a back-up plan for RC and you should be fine.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”