To alternate or not to alternate practice tests?

mx23250

To alternate or not to alternate practice tests?

Postby mx23250 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:01 pm

So I've been studying for about two months now and plan on taking the October LSAT (~4.5 months away). I started studying early because work and grad school only leaves me ~15-20 hours per week I can devote to LSAT studying. Anyhow, I've read two competing strategies for taking practice tests - one is to ALWAYS take them under strict timed conditions and the other is to alternate timed and untimed tests (e.g., take 1 timed and 1 untimed each week). Regardless of method, I plan on ONLY taking strict timed tests for the four weeks immediately before the test. However, for the next 3.5 months before then, would it be better to stick to just timed tests or is there value in alternating with untimed tests and focusing on technique?

I appreciate all insights.

Thanks!

Br3v

Re: To alternate or not to alternate practice tests?

Postby Br3v » Tue May 21, 2013 5:12 pm

mx23250 wrote:So I've been studying for about two months now and plan on taking the October LSAT (~4.5 months away). I started studying early because work and grad school only leaves me ~15-20 hours per week I can devote to LSAT studying. Anyhow, I've read two competing strategies for taking practice tests - one is to ALWAYS take them under strict timed conditions and the other is to alternate timed and untimed tests (e.g., take 1 timed and 1 untimed each week). Regardless of method, I plan on ONLY taking strict timed tests for the four weeks immediately before the test. However, for the next 3.5 months before then, would it be better to stick to just timed tests or is there value in alternating with untimed tests and focusing on technique?

I appreciate all insights.

Thanks!

If you are going to do any untimed PTs they should only be done IMO at the wry start if your training to teach yourself how to take the test. Untimed drills are different but even those, after you learn the type and are comfortable should always be timed IMO.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”