June vs. October test date

Sojourner2

June vs. October test date

Postby Sojourner2 » Mon May 20, 2013 10:32 am

I am enrolled in a testmasters course and work full time. I have tried to devote all the time I have to studying, but still have not been able to cover nearly all the material in the course. I've stayed up with the lesson per week schedule, but have only covered 1/3 - 1/2 of the material in each lesson.

My initial diagnostic was high 150s. I've since climbed to the high 160s, although I haven't been able to take a diagnostic in two weeks so hopefully will be around 170 now. I think I have the potential to score in the low to mid 170s, but haven't been able to devote all the time yet to see what my full potential is.

My question is whether I should take the test in June (I'm currently scheduled to do so), or wait until October.

The advantages of taking it in June are that I can apply in early September this fall rather than having to wait till October/November. I also will be familiar with the test and so, if I don't do that well and have to take it again in October, I'll be more familiar with it and probably a lot more relaxed.

On the other hand, I could go into the June test and not do well and end up having to take it again in October anyway, but possibly feel under more pressure because I have a bad score on my record.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? The idea of taking it in June just so I am familiar with it and can take it again in October fully prepared and knowing what to expect really appeals to me, but I'm aware this could be a dumb strategy.

Young Marino

Re: June vs. October test date

Postby Young Marino » Mon May 20, 2013 11:25 am

Sojourner2 wrote:I am enrolled in a testmasters course and work full time. I have tried to devote all the time I have to studying, but still have not been able to cover nearly all the material in the course. I've stayed up with the lesson per week schedule, but have only covered 1/3 - 1/2 of the material in each lesson.

My initial diagnostic was high 150s. I've since climbed to the high 160s, although I haven't been able to take a diagnostic in two weeks so hopefully will be around 170 now. I think I have the potential to score in the low to mid 170s, but haven't been able to devote all the time yet to see what my full potential is.

My question is whether I should take the test in June (I'm currently scheduled to do so), or wait until October.

The advantages of taking it in June are that I can apply in early September this fall rather than having to wait till October/November. I also will be familiar with the test and so, if I don't do that well and have to take it again in October, I'll be more familiar with it and probably a lot more relaxed.

On the other hand, I could go into the June test and not do well and end up having to take it again in October anyway, but possibly feel under more pressure because I have a bad score on my record.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do? The idea of taking it in June just so I am familiar with it and can take it again in October fully prepared and knowing what to expect really appeals to me, but I'm aware this could be a dumb strategy.

To my knowledge, most law schools usually take the highest score you have. If I were you, see if your target school takes the highest score and if they do, take in June then retake in October. If they do not, I'd wait until October to ensure you maximize your potential

rutgers17

Postby rutgers17 » Mon May 20, 2013 12:37 pm

deleted
Last edited by rutgers17 on Sun May 03, 2015 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Mon May 20, 2013 12:51 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
Sojourner2 wrote:I am enrolled in a testmasters course and work full time. I have tried to devote all the time I have to studying, but still have not been able to cover nearly all the material in the course. I've stayed up with the lesson per week schedule, but have only covered 1/3 - 1/2 of the material in each lesson.

To my knowledge, most law schools usually take the highest score you have. If I were you, see if your target school takes the highest score and if they do, take in June then retake in October. If they do not, I'd wait until October to ensure you maximize your potential

With the exception of HYS, it seems that all schools now focus on the highest score, even if that's not their "official" policy. If you have the GPA for HYS and believe it's a possibility, I wouldn't rush into the test. If you're not shooting for those schools though, then I think you'd be alright taking the first test in June.

Sojourner2

Postby Sojourner2 » Mon May 20, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Does anyone know if there is a big advantage between submitting an application in the beginning of September vs. waiting till October? Everyone says "earlier is better" but usually I read this to mean "try to avoid the December and especially the Feb. test dates." Is there also a general consensus that taking the test in June gives you a leg-up over October takers, and if so, how big of an advantage this is?

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Mon May 20, 2013 2:05 pm

Sojourner2 wrote:Thanks for the advice, guys.

Does anyone know if there is a big advantage between submitting an application in the beginning of September vs. waiting till October? Everyone says "earlier is better" but usually I read this to mean "try to avoid the December and especially the Feb. test dates." Is there also a general consensus that taking the test in June gives you a leg-up over October takers, and if so, how big of an advantage this is?

Depends on the school. Some start admitting a few weeks after applications open up. Applying early is good especially if you have the score to get scholly money because your app is one of the first reviewed but if your LSAT score is going to be significantly better in October, it's better to wait it out I think.

totoro

Postby totoro » Mon May 20, 2013 2:51 pm

In terms of getting in, applying in Sept or Oct does not seem to impact the results (at least from what I saw from LSN profiles this cycle). I'm not sure how it affects scholarship money but I assume it should still be plentiful if you apply with an Oct LSAT. From what I can tell even Dec LSAT people were fine if you submitted in early Jan this year. It was late January or February applicants where you could really tell the difference I think.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”