. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:41 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

atomist

New

Re: Best ways to improve LG speed?

Post by atomist » Sat May 18, 2013 5:10 am

when I first began studying I completed games agonizingly slowly. I thought I would never learn how to complete four games in time. it just takes constant drilling. are you doing games over and over again? do games over and over again. each time try to up your speed while maintaining accuracy. redo each game you do multiple times and you should slowly but surely you'll get faster.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sat May 18, 2013 5:27 am

Do you use prior work efficiently?

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Sat May 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The LSAT Trainer

Silver

Post by The LSAT Trainer » Sat May 18, 2013 4:51 pm

In general, for most students, the best way to improve LG speed is to get better at diagramming. I don't mean making fewer mistakes, or having a more clever way to diagram (though it certainly doesn't hurt to be mistake-free and clever) -- I'm talking more about familiarity and comfort -- your notations should feel like a first language, not a second, and if you can diagram without having to be overly conscious of how you diagram -- if you are so comfortable with your notations that you can just think about the game itself, you'll be faster in every aspect of LG.

But I'm sure you know that.

A second, more specific tip you might find helpful is to make sure you are approaching questions correctly in two respects:
1) you are using conditions in the question stem to their full advantage
2) you know when to look for the right answer, and when to eliminate the wrong answers

The second of those points is the more significant one -- of the students I've worked with, I would say the vast majority waste time and make the section harder on themselves because they haven't thought about that second decision enough. As a general rule of thumb, you want to seek out the right answer for any must be true or must be false (and you want to avoid wasting time on the wrong choices) and you want to use the process of elimination for could be true and could be false (questions for which it's generally easier to see that four answers are wrong than it is to see that one answer is right). I won't bore you with all the reasons why here, but I've written a great deal about why these strategies are effective both in the trainer and the manhattan literature.

These question strategies are somewhat related to how you diagram and whatnot (for example, they will be less effective if you use a diagramming system that encourages you to set up a bunch of hypotheticals upfront), but in general most students can shave some time (and make the section easier on themselves) if they can adopt these question strategies.

HTH -- good luck -- Mike

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”