Classes or Independent Study

Darmody

Classes or Independent Study

Postby Darmody » Fri May 17, 2013 7:18 pm

I've heard a lot of people studying on their own and doing really well for the LSATs. Classes can be expensive and not very helpful, so I was contemplating on doing independent study as well. Can anyone give me some of their personal experiences, advice, and input on whether to take prep courses or do independent study?

PourMeTea

Post removed.

Postby PourMeTea » Fri May 17, 2013 7:31 pm

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jrsbaseball5

Re: Classes or Independent Study

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Darmody wrote:I've heard a lot of people studying on their own and doing really well for the LSATs. Classes can be expensive and not very helpful, so I was contemplating on doing independent study as well. Can anyone give me some of their personal experiences, advice, and input on whether to take prep courses or do independent study?

This is the exact reason why I chose to do self study. I think that there are so many resources here on TLS and books that you can buy for relatively cheap that I don't think it is necessary to take a prep course. If you feel like you aren't disciplined enough and have extra cash however, then it might be worthwhile for you to take a course, but always, always supplement with outside prep.

Also, if you do choose to do a course there are some relatively inexpensive ones out that there that can provide some structure if you feel like you need it.

wtrc

Postby wtrc » Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 pm

I think I have personal experience that might help, for both options.

Several years ago, junior year of college. I took a cold diagnostic in the high 150's. I thought "shit, I should take a class! Nice!" I take a class, and improve about 7 points to mid 160's. I take the LSAT, get my score, am happy. Think, "wow, TM really helped me!!!"

I find TLS. I realize I had put relatively very little time into studying, as I figured that I could essentially check off my studying by sitting in on a class and doing a little homework. I decide to start self studying. My score is much higher now.

A class is good for two kinds of people:

1) If you really don't have the motivation to sit down and study, and need it in some sort of class structure.

2) On TLS I think we often forget that half of all people score below 151. More than half of all people start out below 151. If someone is scoring in the 130's or low 140's, a class is helpful--- the fundamentals of how to approach this to get a decent score need to be taught, and might be harder to pick up from self-study. But even this I'm not sure of.

Self-study. Save money. Score better than you will from a class. Profit.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri May 17, 2013 9:58 pm

Definitely depends on you. As others have said (and as I tell my students) class (or tutoring) is not a substitute for rigorous self-study, merely a supplement.
It's definitely a very expensive supplement, and a lot people can make similar improvement on their own, but I don't think everyone can necessarily do on their own what a class can do for them.
Luckily, you found TLS, and in general TLS CAN provide a lot of the insight a class would have given you anyway.
If you have the money, if you will rigorously apply yourself to the techniques you learn, and if you squeeze every cents worth out of your instructor and resources, then taking a class can definitely be worth it.
If you feel confident you can learn well out of books and on this excellent message board, spend that money on resources and save a thousand bucks.
Gl!

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Sat May 18, 2013 1:03 pm

My diagnostic in December was 133. I am currently PTing at 165. All self study and advice from TLSers. Take from that what you will.

Ixiion

Postby Ixiion » Sat May 18, 2013 4:59 pm

Darmody wrote:I've heard a lot of people studying on their own and doing really well for the LSATs. Classes can be expensive and not very helpful, so I was contemplating on doing independent study as well. Can anyone give me some of their personal experiences, advice, and input on whether to take prep courses or do independent study?

Honestly, I've been self-studying for months and I've found it to be sufficient. But lately I started up a new job with one of the prep companies, and as part of my bennies, I get to take a class for free. I figured, WHY NOT, right? I'm PTing in the early 170s, but at this point, I'll take anything to help me get over this hump and get to mid-170s.

It starts on the 20th, so I'll let you know how it goes a few days in.

But so far, from what I've seen, independent study should be enough. It's just my crazy need to do everything so that if I bomb it, I can say that I tried everything. Sort of.

The LSAT Trainer

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Sat May 18, 2013 5:02 pm

okaygo wrote:My diagnostic in December was 133. I am currently PTing at 165. All self study and advice from TLSers. Take from that what you will.

That's incredible. Phenomenal job -- I bet the worst part is that no one around you (regular people who don't obsess about the LSAT) understands what an amazing thing it is that you've accomplished.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat May 18, 2013 6:52 pm

Get the Manhattan LSAT bundles, study 6-8 hours everyday until October, get 170+, profit.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”