advice for partiuclar type of basic logic game

flash21

advice for partiuclar type of basic logic game

Postby flash21 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:02 pm

for local questions that ask, if x goes here , what are the full possibility that can go in spot x?

i find these always give me trouble and it often takes me a long time to figure them out.

i feel like all that is needed is hypos in this case but i still struggle for some reason. any advice will be appreciated .

Power Clean

Re: advice for partiuclar type of basic logic game

Postby Power Clean » Fri May 17, 2013 1:09 pm

The first thing that comes to mind is to check your hypos for previous questions that have your variable in that spot, and eliminate accordingly before testing each option.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri May 17, 2013 2:24 pm

Previous work is a great shortcut, but usually doesn't get you all the way. Follow the inference chain on the new condition as far as you can, and then write who's left to place a bit above the line (with any relative ordering relationships written in). That should help you think through some of the possibilities more efficiently. If you have to write them out, OK, but as you develop your skills, somethings should fall into the "I can do this in my head" category.

A few other tips:

- notice any shared elements between answer choices. If K is every answer, be sure not to bother thinking about it.
- if you see an element in only one answer choice, it's more likely than not that it isn't an element that works. Don't eliminate based on this, but be suspicious.
- if two elements are logically equivalent (e.g. both F and H have no rules that apply directly to them), then if you figure out that F "works" then so does H.

flash21

Postby flash21 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Previous work is a great shortcut, but usually doesn't get you all the way. Follow the inference chain on the new condition as far as you can, and then write who's left to place a bit above the line (with any relative ordering relationships written in). That should help you think through some of the possibilities more efficiently. If you have to write them out, OK, but as you develop your skills, somethings should fall into the "I can do this in my head" category.

A few other tips:

- notice any shared elements between answer choices. If K is every answer, be sure not to bother thinking about it.
- if you see an element in only one answer choice, it's more likely than not that it isn't an element that works. Don't eliminate based on this, but be suspicious.
- if two elements are logically equivalent (e.g. both F and H have no rules that apply directly to them), then if you figure out that F "works" then so does H.

wow, thanks very much. the thing is, when i get to doing the h/f on a single slot for example to show that its not necesarily needing to be true, i get a bit confused. but i will definately try and work on this because this is what is holding me back from doing basic logic games perfecctly imo.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”