LG: Rule exchange&if which one is true would fully determine

15chocolate

LG: Rule exchange&if which one is true would fully determine

Postby 15chocolate » Thu May 16, 2013 8:30 pm

Hello,
I wonder what the best solutions would be for those questions?
1. By saying rule exchange questions I mean those questions asking remove one original rule and put a new rule that would lead to the same result as the original rule.
2. The other one is those questions which ask if true, it fully determines all components' positions.

I really want to avoid trial&error...
Thanks.

The LSAT Trainer

Re: LG: Rule exchange&if which one is true would fully determine

Postby The LSAT Trainer » Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 pm

Hi -- for your first question -- here's a paper I wrote years ago when I was at Manhattan -- http://www.manhattanlsat.com/equivalent-rule.cfm

It's about 24 pages too long, but hopefully it gives you the info that you need.

The second question type is one of the very few that inherently requires some trial and error -- some keys to success include having a very firm sense of control over your diagram and notations (so that you can "play around" quickly and accurately), and having the confidence to not waste time on wrong answers. For these questions, the biggest time suck comes from looking for inferences that aren't there in those wrong answer choices. Learn to move on quickly -- the right answer is often easier than you think. HTH -- good luck.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Thanks for your answers and the URL!
So...regarding your answer to my 2nd question, basically you mean we have no way but need to do trial&error quickly right? :(

Skill Game

Postby Skill Game » Fri May 17, 2013 9:45 am

15chocolate wrote:Thanks for your answers and the URL!
So...regarding your answer to my 2nd question, basically you mean we have no way but need to do trial&error quickly right? :(

It helps a lot to take a look at the answer choices for those and then start with the ones that either provide the most info (like 2 slots instead of 1); or that provide you with elements that are very limited and/or have elements that are dependent on their placement (like something that immediately precedes or follows it). So it's still trial and error, but more efficient.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Fri May 17, 2013 9:49 am

Definitely look over the answers before you do anything. A lot of the time the question will be looking for a key inference to the game you've already made.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Fri May 17, 2013 6:28 pm

Thanks for your replies!

When I think about it, I always make diagram first (especially for conditional statement questions) and then look over the answers...
Besides those determine elements questions, for what other types of question should I check answer choices first?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”