getting from -2/-3 LR to -0 Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
heywatchitbuddy

New

getting from -2/-3 LR to -0 Help

Post by heywatchitbuddy » Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm

So I've gone through the whole LRB and am now well into doing sections from PTs, but I consistently get -2/-3 (occasionally -1/-4) on the sections, and always on random hard ones; I don't have certain question types that I always miss. So I guess is there any recommended study format for consistently nailing all the harder ones or any advice to get me over the hump? Thanks

lawschool2014hopeful

Silver

Re: getting from -2/-3 LR to -0 Help

Post by lawschool2014hopeful » Thu May 16, 2013 7:23 pm

In the same shoes, especially with the new LRs (-4s~), PT50+, the answer choices are being increasingly unpredictable, even some assumption Qs, and wrong answer choices being increasingly tricky.

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 pm

heywatchitbuddy wrote:So I've gone through the whole LRB and am now well into doing sections from PTs, but I consistently get -2/-3 (occasionally -1/-4) on the sections, and always on random hard ones; I don't have certain question types that I always miss. So I guess is there any recommended study format for consistently nailing all the harder ones or any advice to get me over the hump? Thanks
Try drilling the Cambridge hard questions for some help. The key to nailing the tricky questions sometimes just comes down to time. Finish the easier questions quickly, so you can take a couple minutes on some of the trickier ones.

heywatchitbuddy

New

Post by heywatchitbuddy » Thu May 16, 2013 8:42 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
heywatchitbuddy wrote:So I've gone through the whole LRB and am now well into doing sections from PTs, but I consistently get -2/-3 (occasionally -1/-4) on the sections, and always on random hard ones; I don't have certain question types that I always miss. So I guess is there any recommended study format for consistently nailing all the harder ones or any advice to get me over the hump? Thanks
Try drilling the Cambridge hard questions for some help. The key to nailing the tricky questions sometimes just comes down to time. Finish the easier questions quickly, so you can take a couple minutes on some of the trickier ones.
Thanks! Do they come from the PTs though because I hate when I'm doing a PT and see a question from the LRB? Also are these online?

SteelPenguin

Silver

Post by SteelPenguin » Thu May 16, 2013 8:54 pm

heywatchitbuddy wrote:
SteelPenguin wrote:
Thanks! Do they come from the PTs though because I hate when I'm doing a PT and see a question from the LRB? Also are these online?
Yeah, Cambridge LSAT packets use material from pt 1-39 and are available at cambridgelsat.com if I remember correctly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu May 16, 2013 8:56 pm

get faster, review your work. the best way for really good LG people to get to -0 is to make sure you have enough time to
a) get stuck on a hard question and grind through
b) go back and recheck at the end of the problem to make sure you're straight

kaseyb002

New

Post by kaseyb002 » Thu May 16, 2013 9:02 pm

I was in the same boat last September. I thought I had done everything possible to improve on LR but just couldn't quite shake it. I would look back at my PT's and say "oh gosh just another stupid mistake, why can't I just not make those stupid mistakes?" But in reality, I hadn't mastered LR yet.

These past few months I started from ground zero and did all the Cambridge packets while going along with the Manhattan LR book. I get -0 to -1 consistently now.

If you're taking June, obviously you're not going to have enough time do this. There may be some quick fix you can apply before then, but I honestly doubt it. For me at least, it took A LOT of drilling, and nothing less.

heywatchitbuddy

New

Post by heywatchitbuddy » Thu May 16, 2013 10:04 pm

Are the cambridge packets worth getting since they're only 1-38? Has the test changed enough that it would be better to focus on newer questions?

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 17, 2013 5:34 am

manhattan LR

Skill Game

New

Post by Skill Game » Fri May 17, 2013 9:37 am

heywatchitbuddy wrote:Are the cambridge packets worth getting since they're only 1-38? Has the test changed enough that it would be better to focus on newer questions?
If you had a choice between only old tests and only new tests, obviously new tests would be much better. There are some differences. The early LRs have the 2-part questions, more ambiguous answer choices, and a few bizarre question types. But one should do as many as possible. The old tests are still probably around 90% the same as they are today.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”