Anyone else retaking?

senioritis13

Anyone else retaking?

Postby senioritis13 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:41 pm

I took the December 2012 and will be retaking in October. In December, I scored lower than any of the prep tests I had taken. I know my biggest mistake was not taking full length practice tests under timed conditions, but I'm having a lot of anxiety about retaking in October. Do other LSAT retakers have this anxiety?

I guess I feel like even if my prep tests go well this summer, I'll still score below what I'm expecting/hoping for. Maybe that's overly pessimistic, but how do you shake this incredibly debilitating feeling?! Any words of encouragement or motivation are welcomed!

ManOfTheMinute

Re: Anyone else retaking?

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Thu May 16, 2013 12:04 am

If you hadn't taken a full length test under timed conditions, I wouldn't draw and inferences from the fact that your last score wasn't as good ad you were expecting...

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:07 am

senioritis13 wrote:I took the December 2012 and will be retaking in October. In December, I scored lower than any of the prep tests I had taken. I know my biggest mistake was not taking full length practice tests under timed conditions, but I'm having a lot of anxiety about retaking in October. Do other LSAT retakers have this anxiety?

I guess I feel like even if my prep tests go well this summer, I'll still score below what I'm expecting/hoping for. Maybe that's overly pessimistic, but how do you shake this incredibly debilitating feeling?! Any words of encouragement or motivation are welcomed!

I'm also a Dec 2012 test taker who is retaking in October. I was working 60+ hours a week, driving across a couple states every weekend and generally did not prepare. However, I had multiple PTs in the 166-170 range, and just figured I would be OK. Didn't happen.

Now, I am taking it much more seriously. Still, no anxiety yet for me... Pretty motivated and optimistic

senioritis13

Postby senioritis13 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:47 am

Thanks for the replies! I also was working too much and didn't prepare enough. I thought though, that since I was scoring pretty well on each section, I would be good.

I guess my anxiety comes from the fact that I was consistently scoring pretty well on all of the sections when I timed them independently (save RC lol). For example, I would do 3-4 sections of LR in a row, timed, and score 0-2 wrong on each section. At the very worst, I would occasionally get -4, which even that only happened a a select number of times and I would still get like -5 total if I included the LR section from the same PT. On test day it was -5 for both sections of LR. I'm not sure it was test day anxiety, a lack of endurance, or what, but I'm worried this will happen again. I saw a similar drop in my other sections as well (-4 LG despite usually scoring -0-1 or 2, and a drop in RC as well).

What's the best way to prepare to prevent this? Is taking more full-length tests really going to make that great of a difference?

jk148706

Postby jk148706 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:05 am

senioritis13 wrote: Is taking more full-length tests really going to make that great of a difference?

Yes. 100 percent yes.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 16, 2013 1:11 am

jk148706 wrote:
senioritis13 wrote: Is taking more full-length tests really going to make that great of a difference?

Yes. 100 percent yes.

Yes.

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Thu May 16, 2013 4:58 am

I'm also retaking. Took my test in December '12 and was disappointed with my score after PTing in the high 160s/low 170s (173 being my highest). Just like OP I was very inconsistent with being strict on timing PTs and I started PTing too late and didn't drill enough - nor did I review as much as I could/should have.

I'm doing things differently this time. I have a study plan to help guide me and I'm spending the first half of my prep time drilling extensively and will move on to PTs in July where I will be very strict on timing. I've also decided that I'm going to take PTs at the British library because taking the mat home is a no-no for me.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 16, 2013 5:03 am

Good luck guys, from a double-retaker who sat out 2 cycles and doesn't regret a thing. Build confidence and work your ass off. Come test day, don't psyche yourself out and treat it like just another PT. Don't take until you are CONSISTENTLY hitting your goal on PTs in actual conditions. Good luck again!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”