PT 6 Section 2, Question #19

whereskyle

PT 6 Section 2, Question #19

Postby whereskyle » Wed May 15, 2013 10:35 am

Can anyone clarify why Answer Choice (E) is better than Answer Choice (C)?

Thanks, all.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: PT 6 Section 2, Question #19

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed May 15, 2013 12:11 pm

Looks like you had the same issue discussed here.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed May 15, 2013 1:08 pm

Nice. So here we have a weaken question:

CORE: V's practice of paying tons to its officials has had an awful effect on the level of integrity among the officials in that country.

Why?

(p1) Making bank is desirable to anyone whose goal is to make money
(p2) Because of (p1) wrong people are attracted to politics in V
(p3) definition of wrong

I see a few issues here. The main one is that the premises are talking about people who are attracted to something whereas the conclusion is talking about people who are elected. What if these people the premises are talking about, wrong people, are not elected? Maybe they do other things that pay more, then the integrity wouldn't be affected by this issue, or at least less affected. That's the gist of my pre phrase. Now let's move into the answers. You're issue here is between C and D, so that's all I'll focus on.

C: This doesn't really do anything. What it's saying is that more people do not try to become elected when officials are paid bank than when they are not. But this is looking at the total number of people running, we're focused on the wrong people running. Think about this, what if 50 people run for office in both of these times, low and high salaries, but more wrong people run for office in times of high salary than good people. And more good people run for office in times of low salary than wrong people. The core could still be entirely intact in this case, if not strengthened.

E: Boom. This weakens by showing that money is obviously not these peoples primary goal. And if these people were more interested in money than in helping the people of V, then they would obviously take these jobs outside of politics.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Daily_Double wrote:Nice. So here we have a weaken question:

CORE: V's practice of paying tons to its officials has had an awful effect on the level of integrity among the officials in that country.

Why?

(p1) Making bank is desirable to anyone whose goal is to make money
(p2) Because of (p1) wrong people are attracted to politics in V
(p3) definition of wrong

I see a few issues here. The main one is that the premises are talking about people who are attracted to something whereas the conclusion is talking about people who are elected. What if these people the premises are talking about, wrong people, are not elected? Maybe they do other things that pay more, then the integrity wouldn't be affected by this issue, or at least less affected. That's the gist of my pre phrase. Now let's move into the answers. You're issue here is between C and D, so that's all I'll focus on.

C: This doesn't really do anything. What it's saying is that more people do not try to become elected when officials are paid bank than when they are not. But this is looking at the total number of people running, we're focused on the wrong people running. Think about this, what if 50 people run for office in both of these times, low and high salaries, but more wrong people run for office in times of high salary than good people. And more good people run for office in times of low salary than wrong people. The core could still be entirely intact in this case, if not strengthened.

E: Boom. This weakens by showing that money is obviously not these peoples primary goal. And if these people were more interested in money than in helping the people of V, then they would obviously take these jobs outside of politics.

I suspected that there was an issue between "no more" and "different" people... Thanks for that! I guess I should read further into the Manhattan LR guide before I start digging into questions.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Wed May 15, 2013 3:32 pm

whereskyle wrote:I suspected that there was an issue between "no more" and "different" people... Thanks for that! I guess I should read further into the Manhattan LR guide before I start digging into questions.

That's a good sign, it at least means you have good instincts. And I think that you shouldn't start taking PTs or drilling, until you have finished the books. But on a separate level, it's all about thinking, in this case, does this answer leave the core intact? If so, then it's wrong, if it does not leave the core intact, then it's correct. Learning the concepts from the book will help you identify how answers impact the core, so start ploughing through those books.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”