PoliticianX vs Politician Y, possible LR question and answer Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.

Type of Question

Poll ended at Thu May 16, 2013 10:11 am

Point of Issue
No votes
Identify the Flaw
No votes

Total votes: 0

nmillette

New

PoliticianX vs Politician Y, possible LR question and answer

Post by nmillette » Wed May 15, 2013 10:11 am

On my way to work this morning, I heard this argument between two politicians during a news report on the radio and immediately identified that the argument was flawed, the argument went like so:

Politician X: Although company XYZ reported a Net Loss of over 700 million for a second consecutive year, the company is not insolvent.

Politician Y: I do not understand how Politician X can continue to deny that Company XYZ is not insolvent when it does not have have enough cash to finance its operating expenses and continues to report a Net Loss.

Politician X: It is true that the company has a cash shortage situation however, the company is not insolvent as it has a lot of other assets.

After hearing the argument, I was wondering if this argument would make a better "point of issue question" with the correct answer being both parties disagree as to whether Company XYZ is insolvent

OR

An "identify the flaw question" with the correct answer being uncertain use of the term "Insolvent"

I apologize in advance, however I am in full June LSAT prep mode so I use every and any situation as a means of drilling/studying for the June exam, even if that means making up my own LSAT worthy questions and answers while sitting in a taxi on the way to work.

Skill Game

New

Re: PoliticianX vs Politician Y, possible LR question and answer

Post by Skill Game » Wed May 15, 2013 10:27 am

To me, it wouldn't make a good point of issue question because the answer is obvious. One says it's insolvent. The other says it's not. If it were this type of question, the answer would probably have to be slightly more nuanced than this. And if it were a flaw question, it seems like it would require more explication by the speakers, because as it is now, you would need a more advanced understanding of economics/business in order to be able to assess it.

Daily_Double

Silver

Re: PoliticianX vs Politician Y, possible LR question and answer

Post by Daily_Double » Wed May 15, 2013 11:06 am

The correct answer would be, if a country has a cash shortage but not a dearth of assets, can that country be insolvent.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”