LSAT Help Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
2012LSATaker

New

LSAT Help

Post by 2012LSATaker » Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm currently scoring in the low 160's. My problem is when I'm under test conditions I am really not the same person. In an untimed test I can score in the mid 170's. I feel there shouldn't be such a big difference between my timed and untimed work. When I'm timed I can finish all the questions just don't have the same clarity of mind. Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a way to fix this? I'd appreciate any advice I can get.

itachiuchiha

Silver

Re: LSAT Help

Post by itachiuchiha » Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 pm

2012LSATaker wrote:I'm currently scoring in the low 160's. My problem is when I'm under test conditions I am really not the same person. In an untimed test I can score in the mid 170's. I feel there shouldn't be such a big difference between my timed and untimed work. When I'm timed I can finish all the questions just don't have the same clarity of mind. Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a way to fix this? I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
that is everybody's problem. you will just have to deal with the time constraint which is pretty much the only obstacle of the test. sorry i couldn't be more helpful, all I can say is that you should do timed drilling.

2012LSATaker

New

Post by 2012LSATaker » Mon May 13, 2013 10:35 pm

I understand my score won't be nearly the same. But don't think it should be a 12-13 point difference from untimed to timed work.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:39 pm

2012LSATaker wrote:I understand my score won't be nearly the same. But don't think it should be a 12-13 point difference from untimed to timed work.
That's very common. After you master the basics, LSAT prep is mostly learning to read, diagram, and infer faster.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 pm

2012LSATaker wrote:I understand my score won't be nearly the same. But don't think it should be a 12-13 point difference from untimed to timed work.
And yet...it is.
Just keep practicing and concentrate on efficiency in your thinking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Daily_Double

Silver

Post by Daily_Double » Mon May 13, 2013 11:20 pm

2012LSATaker wrote:I'm currently scoring in the low 160's. My problem is when I'm under test conditions I am really not the same person. In an untimed test I can score in the mid 170's. I feel there shouldn't be such a big difference between my timed and untimed work. When I'm timed I can finish all the questions just don't have the same clarity of mind. Has anyone had a similar problem or know of a way to fix this? I'd appreciate any advice I can get.
The real question here is "Do you have a good reason for selecting each answer?" And by good reason, I mean, one which is supported by your previous prep. You should work to be confident about your selection of each answer. To do this you should have a good reason for each answer you select. Keep this in your head whenever you do PTs. Think to yourself, every time, "Why am I selecting this one? Why are the others not worthy of my selection/wrong?" Give it a shot and keep at it.

Also, one thing I forgot to mention: prephrase your answers. All of them. And I define prephrase as a mental pause where one:

If assumption family ---> identifies the gap between the premises and the conclusion and comes up with potential answers.

If inference ---> diagram if MBT with dense condition or formal logic

If matching ---> diagram the structure, if matching flaw, then note the flaw in the stimulus and match both the flaw and the structure

The more you pre phrase the more accurate you will be because eventually you'll start prephrasing more and more correct answers.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Tue May 14, 2013 12:00 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”