What's your method for reviewing RC Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
mvonh001

Silver

What's your method for reviewing RC

Post by mvonh001 » Mon May 13, 2013 9:53 pm

What's up everyone?

I got a question about RC...

After I take a PT or a RC section, how do I review my answers? I have a hard time reviewing them because there is no stimulus to refer to where the answer will be, and every passage is different.

Do you guys just go over the correct answers or systematically try to determine why you picked the wrong answer (and if so, how do you do this)...

This section will be my downfall, my last PT I got -11 on RC alone... That is not acceptable. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.

jk148706

Gold

Re: What's your method for reviewing RC

Post by jk148706 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 pm

mvonh001 wrote:What's up everyone?

I got a question about RC...

After I take a PT or a RC section, how do I review my answers? I have a hard time reviewing them because there is no stimulus to refer to where the answer will be, and every passage is different.

Do you guys just go over the correct answers or systematically try to determine why you picked the wrong answer (and if so, how do you do this)...

This section will be my downfall, my last PT I got -11 on RC alone... That is not acceptable. Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance.
RC also my worst section. I've been told Manhattan RC could help. Going to try it out.

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 pm

I quickly skimmed the RC book today, but found it didnt help me at all. Do you suggest i do the drills within the book as well as read it?

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:08 am

And aside from the book, what do people do after they take a PT and get some incorrect answers? Do they reread the entire passage and attempt to figure out why they fucked up? Or what? I don't understand that process.

senioritis13

New

Post by senioritis13 » Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 pm

Yeah I'm also getting F'ed in the A on RC. My last section of RC was...not cute.

I've just finished the Manhattan RC book today and I think it helped a bit. I'm retaking in October and I think the book had some valuable tips that may have helped me the first time around. That said, I still need a lot of practice. The biggest help so far w/ the book was that it teaches you to look to eliminate wrong answers first, rather than searching immediately for the right answer. That maybe saves me a few wrong answers, but it's also a time sucker.

How much do you guys annotate? I find that my better sections are when I barely annotate at all. When I read through the passage quickly and underline/circle key parts, I can usually find them pretty quickly when answering questions. I can also spend more time on questions, allowing me to double check that I'm choosing the right answers. However, I'm still getting 4-5 wrong with this method lol.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Drewkapper

New

Post by Drewkapper » Thu May 16, 2013 5:53 pm

A unique way I like to tackle a RC passage is by first skimming over the main point question and the answer choices of that question to get a general feel for what I am going to be reading ahead of time. This much relates to reading an article in a magazine that gives you background information in the headings, which allows you to comprehend much easier. The time it takes to do this is around 3 minutes. I'll use around 30 seconds on skimming the main point question anwsers and finding the commonalities among them and then read the passage with useful background knowledge at hand.

jad0re

New

Post by jad0re » Thu May 16, 2013 8:26 pm

I get this feeling that RC from the recent PT's got more sneaky.

It is very uncomfortable to deal with the amount of detail distortion these days... people who read by structure (i.e. "skim") like me get slapped so hard it's almost surreal

my advice to you is to slow down, maybe?

Skill Game

New

Post by Skill Game » Fri May 17, 2013 9:10 am

To review RC, I go back and type out an explanation to every question, even the ones I got wrong. I try to find a relevant passage in the text to defend a correct answer or disprove an incorrect answer. For some of the easy "According to the passage" questions, I only need to explain the correct answer. But usually for the inference, main point, and passage structure types of questions, I write out explanations for every letter choice.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Mon May 20, 2013 4:22 pm

Skill Game wrote: I try to find a relevant passage in the text to defend a correct answer or disprove an incorrect answer.
Best way to review. Not only will this answer the questions, but you'll also start to notice patterns in the type of information that the RC section asks questions about. The same stuff comes up over and over again.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rdelaney

Bronze

Post by rdelaney » Mon May 20, 2013 4:26 pm

This section is killing me to. Thanks for the tips. I haven't really found a sound solution to help me at all. I go slow, I get them wrong - I skim, I get them wrong. I'm going to keep doing some drills to hopefully get an idea on how I can improve.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Wed May 22, 2013 11:50 am

rdelaney wrote:This section is killing me to. Thanks for the tips. I haven't really found a sound solution to help me at all. I go slow, I get them wrong - I skim, I get them wrong. I'm going to keep doing some drills to hopefully get an idea on how I can improve.
Stick to going slow and getting them wrong. Reading slowly actually makes most people faster, as even the slowest reader will be faster overall than someone who reads quickly but has to go over the same section multiple times before it sinks in.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”