Break food

lawschool2014hopeful

Break food

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun May 12, 2013 3:47 pm

What are your recommendations to eat for the break?

I find that my brain function significantly slower after the break.

I am currently trying a power bar + juice, but is not exactly working, and I feel like the digestion of the food is taking more energy than it gives me.

Edit:

To all the "no-breaker/food" people

I actually work better without the break and just plow through the 5 sections.

But the reality of the situation I dont have a choice with the break in the real test, so I practice with the break.

The problem I found that is after I take my break my energy level never feel the same, I feel sluggish, I was hoping there were people experiencing similar phenomenon and had some sort of good recommendations in combating it.
Last edited by lawschool2014hopeful on Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueDiamond

Re: Break food

Postby BlueDiamond » Sun May 12, 2013 4:14 pm

Typical TLS wisdom is that you should bring about six ounces of steak tips (preferably BBQ) and a wine by the glass that is no more than 7 ounces so as to be optimal for future bathroom needs. Also, some have said that they supplement this with about half of a baked potato because they are carb loading. HTH.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Sun May 12, 2013 10:26 pm

any serious responses?

it'sjustme

Postby it'sjustme » Sun May 12, 2013 10:29 pm

jimmierock wrote:any serious responses?

Two Zone Perfect protein bars and eight ounces of water worked well for me in October '12.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun May 12, 2013 10:30 pm

Take the PTs without breaks, get used to it. Food isn't the difference between your desired score and your actual score, if there is one, it is just food.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 12, 2013 10:33 pm

Agreed, this comes up all the time, just eat if you want to. On my break I brought a banana and a power bar, I took two bites and said wtf am I even doing I'm not even hungry, and this tastes like shit!

nyjets2090

Postby nyjets2090 » Sun May 12, 2013 10:38 pm

Bananas, a carryover from before I decided on the whole law school thing. The potassium in them helps to relieve the physical symptoms of nervousness and anxiety which you may find to be beneficial during test day.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun May 12, 2013 11:21 pm

I would be careful eating something that will make your mouth dry. Avoid protein bars for some of them make your mouth dry and leave a bad after taste. I think that the thing that you should try to avoid the most is something with a bad after taste.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 12, 2013 11:35 pm

damn test is only 4 hours long, you don't need to eat anything. If you're anything like me, you're not going to be hungry in the midst of the most important test of your life to date, arguably ever. You should bring a snack just in case, but it really isn't that serious. I would literally say eat anything you're not allergic to. I can say with confidence that short of this, pretty much nothing you eat is going to improve the answers you put for the next 2 hours. At the end of the day, its still just a multiple choice test, no need for dogma.

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Sun May 12, 2013 11:36 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:damn test is only 4 hours long, you don't need to eat anything. If you're anything like me, you're not going to be hungry in the midst of the most important test of your life to date, arguably ever. You should bring a snack just in case, but it really isn't that serious. I would literally say eat anything you're not allergic to. I can say with confidence that short of this, pretty much nothing you eat is going to improve the answers you put for the next 2 hours. At the end of the day, its still just a multiple choice test, no need for dogma.

TICR

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Sun May 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I would literally say eat anything you're not allergic to. I can say with confidence that short of this, pretty much nothing you eat is going to improve the answers you put for the next 2 hours.

This. Unless of course, allergic reactions improve your answers for the following two hours.... If so, then you're basically a mutant.

dowu

Postby dowu » Sun May 12, 2013 11:42 pm

Gummy worms and a tall boy.

Teflon_Don

Postby Teflon_Don » Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 am

1:3:1 calories, carbs, sugars ratio. If you do not match this ratio you will not maximize your LSAT potential. Gluck

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon May 13, 2013 12:41 am

Honestly, a Clif Bar is always a great call. The Mint Chocolate Chip, and Peanut Toffee. I actually developed a habit where I get all my calories in the morning and at night - norm two 1000-1300 calorie meals and find I'm most productive that way.

lawschool2014hopeful

Postby lawschool2014hopeful » Mon May 13, 2013 12:51 am

To all the "no-breaker/food" people

But the reality of the situation I dont have a choice with the break in the real test, so I practice with the break.

The problem I found that is after I take my break my energy level never feel the same, I feel sluggish, I was hoping there were people experiencing similar phenomenon and had some sort of good recommendations in combating it.

bananapeanutbutter

Postby bananapeanutbutter » Mon May 13, 2013 12:54 am

jimmierock wrote:To all the "no-breaker/food" people

A Clif Bar has sugar, vitamins, protein and just the right amount of fat. I'd absolutely go with it.

Also, and this is as a finished 1L. The exams I had a banana on so far resulted in a 3.85 and the ones I didn't resulted in a 3.3. I'm waiting on the rest of grades but the banana at breakfast vs. my regular apple really does different things in how I personally think. Apples are much better for you day to day, though because of the fiber and less sugar.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Mon May 13, 2013 1:33 am

jimmierock wrote:To all the "no-breaker/food" people

Start taking six, seven, eight, section PTs. What I'm getting at is that the quality, quantity, and presence of food is probably not the cause of your decreased energy level, just because there seems to be a correlation between your level of energy and presence of food does not mean that the food or lack there of is the cause. Endurance likely is, at least in part, a cause. Therefore you should work to increase your endurance, the food probably won't have as large of an impact as your preparation will. At least I hope not, otherwise the difference between a 180 and a 175 could be attributed to the intake of an order of cheesy sticks.

qwertyboard

Postby qwertyboard » Mon May 13, 2013 1:38 am

Take some protein bars just in case your test lasts as long as mine did.... 7 hours! Also, train your digestive system to poop at night.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue May 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Believe me when I say that Colin Elzie knows his food: http://blueprintprep.com/lsatblog/lsat/ ... at-to-eat/

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Tue May 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Throttle

Postby Throttle » Tue May 14, 2013 3:49 pm

Apple, banana, and a coke cola . It's best to let the coke sit out over night with the cap off so its easier to drink and it stops you from getting gas.

Also don't eat meat 2hrs before you test. Digestion takes a lot of energy.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”