June/Oct or Oct/Dec for LSAT and subsequent retake?

Otunga

June/Oct or Oct/Dec for LSAT and subsequent retake?

Postby Otunga » Thu May 09, 2013 11:38 pm

I'm presently registered for June, but have only been studying for six weeks. Having only taken three pts, including the diagnostic, I've gone from 153 to 167, improving by 7 points each time. However, my timing is still off. Drilling results are a bit too inconsistent for my tastes. And note the glaring fact that I've only taken two pts excluding the diagnostic (aim to take a bunch over the coming weeks).

Basically, what makes the most sense? Say I pt in the low to mid 170s a few times before the June test. Is that warrant to sit for June? No doubt I'd feel more ready and prepped just sitting for the first time in October. If I can perhaps peak by October, then I can avoid the retake all together. However, isn't there good reason to just sit in June, assuming I feel ready to get that desired 170+? And if I need the Oct. retake, I just take it. But is that a needless strategy? A careless strategy? The way I see it, if I do well enough in June, no more LSAT prep - in other words, the risk of taking in June and a potential retake looking bad for HYS admissions purposes is outweighed by the prospect of no more studying after June. If it makes any difference, my LSDAS GPA should be about 3.92.

Jeffort

Re: June/Oct or Oct/Dec for LSAT and subsequent retake?

Postby Jeffort » Thu May 09, 2013 11:51 pm

Given how you scored on your most recent practice test (167) and that the test is sill more than four weeks away, you should be aiming for June and for it to be your one and only time taking the real thing.

As long as the 167 wasn't a fluke score or due to not strictly simulating and sticking to test day conditions, you have plenty of time to practice a bunch and get yourself consistently scoring 170+ before test day. Use your time wisely, practice a bunch and you should be able to hit 170+ on the June test. I wouldn't go in expecting to re-take in October though because that mindset could cause you to not really push yourself as hard leading up to the test and also on test day.

Plan to be done with the June test and have October left as a back-up strategy choice in case everything does not go well in June.

Otunga

Re: June/Oct or Oct/Dec for LSAT and subsequent retake?

Postby Otunga » Sun May 12, 2013 8:55 am

Well, the initial 167 doesn't seem to be a fluke, as in my last two tests (which were taken yesterday and the day before, a week from the first 167) I've scored 168 and 167. I'm giving myself another couple weeks to start scoring in the 170s - I've really got to hammer down LR as it's my biggest weakness and keeping me away from the 170s. That said, I still get anywhere between -1 to -4 on LG, so get that down regularly to -1 and at least I probably get the respectable 170 regardless of anything else.

I'm going to refrain from any more pting for a few days, and primarily review/drill LR with some LG and RC drilling thrown in. I've noticed that, on RC, I tend to get many wrong on just one passage but get nearly all of the other questions right. And there's no noticeable trend in the content of the messed up passage - can be either science or humanities.

Regarding LR, I was averaging -3 per section prior to PT 59. In the later tests, where my last two tests and much of my drilling has come from, I'm getting many -5s per section with some -4s and -3s mixed in. Does anyone think it's too late to order the Cambridge LR book? I have the LRB, but am not too enamored with it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”