Timing Theory

alexrodriguez

Timing Theory

Postby alexrodriguez » Thu May 09, 2013 5:27 am

My goal is a 170+

My theory is that I shouldn't be timing myself until I can get a 170+ untimed.

It makes sense right?

On another note...

My first untimed preptest score without any knowledge of the LSAT was a 148. I had -10 on the logic games. I've just about finished the logic games bible and today I did a logic games section and only had -4. It's awesome to see that a little studying makes a big difference.

Two things -

What do you think about my theory?

And tell me about your experiences studying and then seeing results. How did it make you feel?

mindarmed

Re: Timing Theory

Postby mindarmed » Thu May 09, 2013 6:58 am

dont even bother timing yourself bro, just drill until you feel like youve mastered the material. i literally didnt even bring a watch with me to the test because of the time lost checking it.

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 am

This is exactly how I'm working too

thatdude222

Postby thatdude222 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:08 am

I would say your theory/strategy is a GREAT one. It actually worked for me. I went from a 150 to a 172 and that's one of the things I did differently when I studied for the second take (other than taking longer time to study). I didn't specifically wait until I hit 170 to start timing myself, but I did wait until I was getting more consistent with the number of questions I was getting right. You've got to get your accuracy down answering the questions correctly first, and then speed comes second.

Seems like you're off to a great start, best of luck!

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu May 09, 2013 10:28 am

not a bad idea, but don't waste many recent PTs doing untamed

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Thu May 09, 2013 12:10 pm

Hey man, I just started my prep yesterday with prep test number 1 out of 60 or so tests and did so timed because I felt I would be doing myself an injustice by practicing for a timed test without timing myself. After realizing that I was struggling with the time anyway and that by putting the added pressure on myself I wasn't learning enough, I concluded that I'd be better suited going the no timing early on route simply because I now find it illogical to time yourself on a test you have no understanding of. Personally, I'd definitely recommend staying on that track OP, you'll learn more that way, timing yourself too early puts your focus on time as opposed to grasping the material and key concepts and you'll miss key distinctions that continuously pop up on the test. Going untimed will make you a faster test taker, just allow it to happen organically. But of course, this varies for each individual - just my two cents. Best of luck OP.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 7:29 pm

buy the 180 watch

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu May 09, 2013 8:13 pm

Since I think PTs are more of a measuring stick rather than the core of the most effective prep for most people, I guess I kind of agree. I would say drilling by type (which I think should be untimed) and learning good tactics (MLSAT, PS) should make up more prep for a lot of people. This may be the area in which TLS can kind of have a negative effect... in the Prep threads everyone is posting their scores, and they're across all sorts of scoring areas, and people early in their prep start emulating the retakers and high scorers without doing the leg work that they did to get where they are.

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Thu May 09, 2013 8:57 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:without doing the leg work that they did to get where they are

Care to expund on what that is specifically?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu May 09, 2013 9:41 pm

JSRarri wrote:

By that I mean heavy drilling and heavy bookwork. You can get good by doing PTs, but I think it's an inefficient way to get there, and some people won't see as significant gains as they would from a more systematic approach. Drill baby Drill.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:20 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
JSRarri wrote:

By that I mean heavy drilling and heavy bookwork. You can get good by doing PTs, but I think it's an inefficient way to get there, and some people won't see as significant gains as they would from a more systematic approach. Drill baby Drill.

What would you recommend as the best way to drill?

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu May 09, 2013 10:21 pm

jrsbaseball5 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:
JSRarri wrote:

By type. Cambridge packets are credited. Beyond that I don't really understand the question.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu May 09, 2013 10:33 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
jrsbaseball5 wrote:
NoodleyOne wrote:

By type. Cambridge packets are credited. Beyond that I don't really understand the question.

That was my question, sorry I worded it poorly. You would recommend those untimed then, correct? Also, is there anything wrong with putting your own packets together based on type? Figure I would save money and time that way.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu May 09, 2013 10:35 pm

No problem, and yes, untimed.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Fri May 10, 2013 3:17 am

your situation is not that unique, try searching

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri May 10, 2013 4:39 am

Your plan could work. May as well take a few PTs along the way though.

JRS wrote: Also, is there anything wrong with putting your own packets together based on type? Figure I would save money and time that way.

keeping track using books of PTs doesnt seem that bad.
http://lsatblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/lo ... types.html
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

I used organized books and liked having everything in one place.. I also really liked this book of organized difficult questions ($30): http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-LSAT-Pra ... 0984456902

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri May 10, 2013 4:51 am

My theory is somewhere around 70/30 untimed/timed. I feel like its too easy to develop slower or enefficient techniques when you drill for too long without battling a clock and being reminded what makes this test hard! That said, I support drilling untimed as long as you truly break those questions down and learn from the mistakes etc.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”