20 hours of 1 on 1, or full length class plus 10 hrs 1 on 1?

swittig

20 hours of 1 on 1, or full length class plus 10 hrs 1 on 1?

Postby swittig » Thu May 09, 2013 12:17 am

I know this is early but I'm starting to think about my preparation for the LSAT next February (or the June after, haven't decided which one fits my school schedule the best.) I've decided that my budget will allow me to get 20 hours of private tutoring from Powerscore. However, I began wondering if it would be better to take a full length class plus 10 hours of private tutoring which would be around the same cost. Does anyone have any experience with doing both classes and tutoring? Even if you haven't, what would you suggest? Thanks in advance.

swittig

Re: 20 hours of 1 on 1, or full length class plus 10 hrs 1 on 1?

Postby swittig » Thu May 09, 2013 12:45 am

bump

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu May 09, 2013 2:22 am

If have decided to spend that amount on prep (about $2k), of the two options you are considering I think the class plus tutoring would be a better way to spend the money. With a full length class all the basics and important major things, techniques, concepts etc. are taught/spoon fed in class with a live instructor to walk you through the stuff and answer questions as you go to learn it all in a structured way. That is a good thing for many people, especially ones that have trouble being self-disciplined enough to self study thoroughly and properly. After or while going through a class you can get tutoring as needed.

If you spend all the $$ on tutoring without a class, then you are responsible for teaching yourself everything by yourself with self study prep books rather than it being presented to you in a pre-planned curriculum and study schedule.

Others here are going to tell you to save the $$ and just self study with books because you can learn everything on your own with good self study prep books. While that is true for some self motivated people, most people just don't study, prep and practice enough or in a good enough structured way on their own for various reasons. Motivation and discipline is one factor, learning styles is another factor. It is more pleasant to put in the time to cover and learn all the various things you need to know about the LSAT (honestly, learning LSAT stuff can be pretty dry, tedious and boring) in a group environment with somebody teaching it to you and walking you through stuff with diagrams and such in an interactive environment than sitting alone reading prep books for many hours (think 50 or more hours just to learn all the basics, question types, game types, etc.). Classes help keep people on track and focused while also teaching you everything without having to do it in the tedious by yourself with books way. Whichever way you go, you will still have to put in plenty of long hours by yourself with the books doing homework, drills, practice, etc., but the number of solitary LSAT hours is less cuz you don't have to learn the basics that way.

So, if you are going to spend a grand or more for prep help, take a full course from a good company with good instructors and then determine if you need and how much you might want or need tutoring in addition to the class.
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu May 09, 2013 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 09, 2013 2:29 am

Who are you considering the class with?

swittig

Postby swittig » Thu May 09, 2013 2:30 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Who are you considering the class with?

Also with Powerscore

swittig

Postby swittig » Thu May 09, 2013 2:35 am

Thanks for your input Jeffort

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu May 09, 2013 2:43 am

swittig wrote:Thanks for your input Jeffort

:)

Also, since you have plenty of time before you are going to take the LSAT, if you take a class, take one that is well before the administration you plan take so that you have plenty of practice time after the course ends. Meaning, do not wait to take a class that ends shortly before the June test to take the June test, take one earlier than that so you have plenty of time to really master everything and practice it enough for it to be second nature. That is of course if you want to achieve a high score such as 170+ or even 165+. Additional study and practice time after a full length course ends is always helpful because it can take time for everything you learn to really click and solidify together into better performance under timed conditions.

indo

Postby indo » Thu May 09, 2013 2:51 am

Jeffort wrote:

Also, since you have plenty of time before you are going to take the LSAT, if you take a class, take one that is well before the administration you plan take so that you have plenty of practice time after the course ends. Meaning, do not wait to take a class that ends shortly before the June test to take the June test, take one earlier than that so you have plenty of time to really master everything and practice it enough for it to be second nature. That is of course if you want to achieve a high score such as 170+ or even 165+. Additional study and practice time after a full length course ends is always helpful because it can take time for everything you learn to really click and solidify together into better performance under timed conditions.

+ 1.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 09, 2013 3:38 am

Jeffort wrote:

This. I took a course that was for the Feb '12 admin, and just finished my final retake a year later this Feb lol. Give yourself ample time to actually refine your game after the course. The real idea is that the course is just the beginning, it's where you learn, you should leave at least twice as long after the class to actually refine your game and get good. You'll come out of a good course with fundamentals, but nowhere near your max potential. Good luck! Where are you located? I know a lot of the teachers in a few metro areas and might have some recommendations.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Thu May 09, 2013 4:08 am

OP i would recommend this if your starting out

http://blueprintprep.com/online-lsat-prep-course

AFTER that get the Manhattan bundles

THEN drill + practice tests

swittig

Postby swittig » Thu May 09, 2013 5:09 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Where are you located? I know a lot of the teachers in a few metro areas and might have some recommendations.

I'm in the south Bay Area.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 09, 2013 5:12 am

swittig wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Where are you located? I know a lot of the teachers in a few metro areas and might have some recommendations.

I'm in the south Bay Area.

PM me, I might be able to hook you up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”