Kaplan.... Terrible

Young Marino

Kaplan.... Terrible

Postby Young Marino » Wed May 08, 2013 10:43 pm

Man I wished I would have known about TLS before I started this course. Outside of having tons of prep material and access to every single LSAT, this course sucks. The "Kaplan" method is b.s. I could have saved $800 jad I just done the powerscore bibles and a few prep tests. Now I'm stuck with this crap. Anyone else feel the same?

cinephile

Re: Kaplan.... Terrible

Postby cinephile » Wed May 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Plenty of people don't need to take a class and can study on their own. I needed to take a class because I needed structure and to have someone hold me accountable for doing the practice. It didn't matter which class I took because I wasn't really there for the methods. But if you don't need the structure and can study on your own, sounds like something you should be doing. If Kaplan has a satisfaction guarantee or an improvement guarantee, take them up on it and get your money back.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed May 08, 2013 10:50 pm

Yea for sure.. I'll probably call tomorrow. Hopefully I can get some money back

SFSpartan

Postby SFSpartan » Wed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm

Yes, Kaplan is terrible. FWIW, I combined their prep materials with the LG and LR Bibles and increased my score 12 points on a retake. Their method is bullshit, but the prep material is actually useful.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Wed May 08, 2013 10:55 pm

SFSpartan wrote:Yes, Kaplan is terrible. FWIW, I combined their prep materials with the LG and LR Bibles and increased my score 12 points on a retake. Their method is bullshit, but the prep material is actually useful.

Exactly my point. The resources thet provide are indeed very helpful but the method is complete horse shit

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed May 08, 2013 11:01 pm

Honestly, it's teacher dependent... No ones methods are perfect and Kaps certainly won't hurt. At the least it'll give you a foundation to build on. I think the Kaplan bashing is half well founded and half hivemind around here. I jumped 12 points in Kaplan and plenty of others do too. The RC method is inefficient, but not harmful.

NanaP

Postby NanaP » Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 pm

I used kraplan for the GMATs....horrible.....their strategy is to help you cheat the test......

ganja

Postby ganja » Fri May 10, 2013 7:19 pm

I have to agree. I'm currently in a Kaplan course and it sucks

DwightSchruteFarms

Postby DwightSchruteFarms » Fri May 10, 2013 7:33 pm

I used Kaplan for the SATs on my first go (x/1600), and I got crushed with a 1100. I used a different prep and scored 300+ points higher. Kaplan is horrible all around.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Fri May 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Honestly, it's teacher dependent... No ones methods are perfect and Kaps certainly won't hurt. At the least it'll give you a foundation to build on. I think the Kaplan bashing is half well founded and half hivemind around here. I jumped 12 points in Kaplan and plenty of others do too. The RC method is inefficient, but not harmful.

The LG methods are actively harmful. Or, well, they're better than nothing, but they're harmful in that they make it harder to learn PS or Manhattan methods, and are much worse than them.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri May 10, 2013 11:52 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Honestly, it's teacher dependent... No ones methods are perfect and Kaps certainly won't hurt. At the least it'll give you a foundation to build on. I think the Kaplan bashing is half well founded and half hivemind around here. I jumped 12 points in Kaplan and plenty of others do too. The RC method is inefficient, but not harmful.

The LG methods are actively harmful. Or, well, they're better than nothing, but they're harmful in that they make it harder to learn PS or Manhattan methods, and are much worse than them.

I agree they're not ideal, but I actually find them very similar to powerscore...MLSAT went a totally different direction with a lot of stuff which I like. Harmful I disagree with though, I think having any foundation in any system makes it easier to learn any other system. Yeah it's different, but at least you know how to form a contrapositive. If anything I think the harm isn't in how the methods make learning other methods hard, its that most people will not bother to learn two methods and they have learned Kaplan instead. That said, nothing my Kaplan teacher said hurt anyone years ago, and I saw plenty of improvement, plus having a ton of materials is great. Make the most of whatever you're enrolled in and self study after. Also, my Kaplan teacher had a 174, he wasn't one of these 165s they hire in some markets. He knew his stuff.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”