Prep Question

JSRarri

Prep Question

Postby JSRarri » Wed May 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Hello everyone. I am already familiar that Sudoku and the Economist are good tools to utilize for LSAT prep but I am wondering what other options are available similar to these, outside of official prep materials and courses, that improve analytical and logical skills. Thank you.

bp shinners

Re: Prep Question

Postby bp shinners » Thu May 09, 2013 12:04 pm

There are logic puzzles called Pocket Posh Logic that you can get at Amazon/B&N. They're good for Logic Games. You can also pick up Games magazine, though the useful games in there are spread out more thinly.

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Thu May 09, 2013 1:52 pm

bp shinners wrote:There are logic puzzles called Pocket Posh Logic that you can get at Amazon/B&N. They're good for Logic Games. You can also pick up Games magazine, though the useful games in there are spread out more thinly.

Do you have any other recommendations for finding straight up LSAT-style logic games?

Skill Game

Postby Skill Game » Thu May 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Manhattan LSAT has 40+ original logic games for free online. And Princeton Review has some original games in a book called Logic Games Workout. Most of these are harder than what you'll find on the LSAT. Some of these are just really awful games, but overall they're a very good way to improve without wasting authentic LSAT material.

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Thu May 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Thank you all for the responses. I have also heard of a book that Kaplan (Kaplan 180 I believe?) offers which consists of fake questions created to imitate real material, however many people swear that including counterfeit questions in my prep can only make performance worse. I can't wrap my hands around this, would counterfeit questions not improve your skills, if also coupled with all available prep material, being that they are created to be the same?

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Skill Game wrote:Manhattan LSAT has 40+ original logic games for free online. And Princeton Review has some original games in a book called Logic Games Workout. Most of these are harder than what you'll find on the LSAT. Some of these are just really awful games, but overall they're a very good way to improve without wasting authentic LSAT material.

Did you find that these games used similar reasoning as those on the LSAT? I would just hate to mess up OP's thinking on bad games. I do trust Manhattan though.

Skill Game

Postby Skill Game » Thu May 09, 2013 5:35 pm

JSRarri wrote:Thank you all for the responses. I have also heard of a book that Kaplan (Kaplan 180 I believe?) offers which consists of fake questions created to imitate real material, however many people swear that including counterfeit questions in my prep can only make performance worse. I can't wrap my hands around this, would counterfeit questions not improve your skills, if also coupled with all available prep material, being that they are created to be the same?

They won't make you do worse. As long as they are used as supplementary material. And most of the games use equivalent reasoning as the official games. Some of the questions are more difficult (things you will never have to figure out on the real thing) and some of the setups more convoluted though.

jrsbaseball5

Postby jrsbaseball5 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:08 pm

Skill Game wrote:
JSRarri wrote:Thank you all for the responses. I have also heard of a book that Kaplan (Kaplan 180 I believe?) offers which consists of fake questions created to imitate real material, however many people swear that including counterfeit questions in my prep can only make performance worse. I can't wrap my hands around this, would counterfeit questions not improve your skills, if also coupled with all available prep material, being that they are created to be the same?

They won't make you do worse. As long as they are used as supplementary material. And most of the games use equivalent reasoning as the official games. Some of the questions are more difficult (things you will never have to figure out on the real thing) and some of the setups more convoluted though.

Ok, that makes sense. Seems like they could be used as the experimental section for prep tests

JSRarri

Postby JSRarri » Thu May 09, 2013 7:50 pm

Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated, I will look into these books. By all means, if anyone else has more to contribute, I would like to see what other options are available.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”