On PT20. Should I be focusing on later PTs by this point? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
ampm

New

On PT20. Should I be focusing on later PTs by this point?

Post by ampm » Wed May 08, 2013 12:14 pm

I've done a lot of concept analysis using PT's 7 - 20. I was planning on working on a few more LR and LG sections from PT20-29.

Then start doubling up on PTs starting on the 10th. After 2 weeks I was going to start doing 1 PT every day until June 10th.

Does this sound like an appropriate plan?

objection_your_honor

Silver

Re: On PT20. Should I be focusing on later PTs by this point?

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed May 08, 2013 12:17 pm

It's a mistake to take the tests in chronological order. Better to mix both new and old so that you can review the most recent tests especially thoroughly, redo the games sections, possibly redo the whole thing, etc.

If I were you I'd take 68 this week and work backwards. A PT every day may do more harm than good, so make sure you spend enough time reviewing and addressing your mistakes.

EDIT: If you're still honing your approach to questions and games, most people use 21-38. Since the test is so close you could also use the 40s for this as well.

ampm

New

Post by ampm » Wed May 08, 2013 1:34 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:It's a mistake to take the tests in chronological order. Better to mix both new and old so that you can review the most recent tests especially thoroughly, redo the games sections, possibly redo the whole thing, etc.

If I were you I'd take 68 this week and work backwards. A PT every day may do more harm than good, so make sure you spend enough time reviewing and addressing your mistakes.

EDIT: If you're still honing your approach to questions and games, most people use 21-38. Since the test is so close you could also use the 40s for this as well.
I see. My average has been 171 and that has been by taking the tests so far with a break of a few days in between. I'm pretty much done honing concepts so I was thinking about hitting a test everyday. I think starting at PT40 and moving up is a valid approach. That way I'll save the latest ones for the week before the actual LSAT.

ampm

New

Post by ampm » Wed May 08, 2013 1:37 pm

I should probably add that I would spend 2 - 3 days after each earlier exam and that really helped in getting concepts down.

By this point, I should expect to be better at quickly reviewing exams. I figured if I'm still having trouble with doing like a test a day then I don't think I'm ready for a June test date.

LG - I usually miss 0 to 1 pt.
LR - I usually miss 2-3 pts per section
RC - I usually miss 1 - 2 pts.

So I've been mainly focusing on LR and LG.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Wed May 08, 2013 1:45 pm

ampm wrote: I think starting at PT40 and moving up is a valid approach. That way I'll save the latest ones for the week before the actual LSAT.
Seeing the tests most representative of what you will face on June 10 a mere week before seems dangerous. How will that benefit you?

Maybe take a few of the 60s this week or next. Many people find the games to be more hypo-intensive and LR to be less mechanical. It might help your studying to expose yourself to at least some of these changes before the week of the test.

It looks like you're in a good spot. Seeing and revisiting the most recent tests throughout this month will better acclimate you to what you will see on test day.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ampm

New

Post by ampm » Wed May 08, 2013 1:50 pm

objection_your_honor wrote:
ampm wrote: I think starting at PT40 and moving up is a valid approach. That way I'll save the latest ones for the week before the actual LSAT.
Seeing the tests most representative of what you will face on June 10 a mere week before seems dangerous. How will that benefit you?

Maybe take a few of the 60s this week or next. Many people find the games to be more hypo-intensive and LR to be less mechanical. It might help your studying to expose yourself to at least some of these changes before the week of the test.

It looks like you're in a good spot. Seeing and revisiting the most recent tests throughout this month will better acclimate you to what you will see on test day.
Hm fair enough. I guess I'll start from latest to first. so something like start with the latest PTs like you said.

ampm

New

Post by ampm » Sun May 26, 2013 8:03 pm

So as I have 2 weeks left, I'm only focusing on PT 50+. This week I'll be focusing on the late 50's and some 60's.

Problem is that I only have tests until 64. I don't have 63, 65-68.

Is this ok? I don't think there's too much variance between upper 50's to 60's right?

nyjets2090

Bronze

Post by nyjets2090 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:01 pm

The later LSATs are available on: http://www.cambridgelsat.com/. You don't need every single PT, but I strongly recommend taking PT 68, which is the latest one and will be the most representative. PT 68 is last year's June exam, some people seem to think there's a big difference between exam months, I don't*, but go ahead and take the latest June one too if you like.

*February might be, nobody knows. Some people say December has a more lenient curve (allowing closer to -12 instead of -10 for a 170), but there was a Dec exam (05?) that had a -8 curve, so you can't make it a universal rule, IMO.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Sun May 26, 2013 9:06 pm

I don't think it's a mistake to take in chronological order, in fact I think it's good because you are doing the newer harder (or different whatever you want to call them) closer to the test. I think you should jump ahead to as many new ones as you can from now till test day (as in if you planned to do 5 or 10 or 20 more, make th the 5 or 10 or 20 newest).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”