Tips for the new reading comp? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
melmoththewanderer

New

Tips for the new reading comp?

Post by melmoththewanderer » Tue May 07, 2013 10:07 am

Hey gang! So I noticed a number of us have posted on the horrible, horrible reading comprehension section. The fact is that the section has evolved, but the material out there hasn't caught up. I wanted to jump start this thread for us to post tips on how to slay this monster.

Whether it be tips for the comparative reading section or the newer, harder passages and questions in general, we want to hear from you. And by newer I'm primarily referring to June 2007 and up. Post away!

Trajectory

Bronze

Re: Tips for the new reading comp?

Post by Trajectory » Tue May 07, 2013 10:20 am

What exactly is different? I havent noticed anything. I mean yes there are comparative reading passages but thats it! Those arent bad in my opinion. I have taken PTs 55-62, Last 6 or so will be taken over the next few weeks.

bombaysippin

Gold

Post by bombaysippin » Tue May 07, 2013 10:35 am

Trajectory wrote:What exactly is different? I havent noticed anything. I mean yes there are comparative reading passages but thats it! Those arent bad in my opinion. I have taken PTs 55-62, Last 6 or so will be taken over the next few weeks.
Maybe the questions seemed to have gotten harder...

Anecdotal, but it seems a lot of people were doing fine or rather consistent in how many they got wrong in older prep tests, but once the new prep tests came along, people started to get more wrong on the reading comp, thus making it seem the new reading comp got more difficult.

melmoththewanderer

New

Post by melmoththewanderer » Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am

Bajam wrote:
Trajectory wrote:What exactly is different? I havent noticed anything. I mean yes there are comparative reading passages but thats it! Those arent bad in my opinion. I have taken PTs 55-62, Last 6 or so will be taken over the next few weeks.
Maybe the questions seemed to have gotten harder...

Anecdotal, but it seems a lot of people were doing fine or rather consistent in how many they got wrong in older prep tests, but once the new prep tests came along, people started to get more wrong on the reading comp, thus making it seem the new reading comp got more difficult.
I second this! I was doing pretty well on RC, but on the newer ones there are more 50-50 questions. Also the passages and questions are written with traps. I also feel like my timing is off.

Trajectory

Bronze

Post by Trajectory » Tue May 07, 2013 10:45 am

Hmm interesting, I'm taking PT 65 this week so I'll keep an eye on this and we'll see at the end. I usually go -5 on RC. Haha I hope me reading about this now and thinking about it doesnt become some self fulfilling prophecy of sorts to where I end up completely butchering the section!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

melmoththewanderer

New

Post by melmoththewanderer » Tue May 07, 2013 10:56 am

What I mean here is that I can get minus 0 minus 2 on Games, I can get -0 -3 on LR, but I have yet to replicate that on the new RC. So I guess I;m asking does anyone get -0 -1 on the newer RC's and if so how do you do it?

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 am

New RC isn't harder, it's just different. They may have "traps" in the passage (they're relying more on putting in some counter-intuitive information to see if you pick up on it, which you should since it's always been a feature of passages that show up in questions), but the questions/answers are more LR-like now, making them (in my opinion) more straight-forward once you adjust to it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”