Motivation!

alexrodriguez

Motivation!

Postby alexrodriguez » Tue May 07, 2013 7:45 am

What motivated you to study tirelessly for months on end? How did you stay motivated?

Please share your story.

I hope this post can serve those (like me) who are just now beginning to transform their way of thinking to that of the LSAT.

BlueDiamond

Re: Motivation!

Postby BlueDiamond » Tue May 07, 2013 7:48 am

The thought of taking on a crushing amount of debt with no job prospects. Enjoy.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue May 07, 2013 8:31 am

louierodriguez wrote:What motivated you to study tirelessly for months on end? How did you stay motivated?

Please share your story.

I hope this post can serve those (like me) who are just now beginning to transform their way of thinking to that of the LSAT.

Law school transparency.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Tue May 07, 2013 8:44 am

Self loathing.

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Tue May 07, 2013 8:55 am

Babes, booze, and cash.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Tue May 07, 2013 9:10 am

I don't think I'm in the minority on this board in saying that I've been motivated by wanting to simply do well. I know that sounds like type-A douchebaggery, but seeing everyone on here with 175+ really makes me wanna think "yea, I can do better than that." LST and debt etc are motivational too, but they don't seem as immediate all the time; the competition (against peers and the test itself) has been my main motivation.

I've really enjoyed studying and improving and treating the LSAT like a videogame that I need to beat. I look forward to my prep time, and I'm looking forward to June. Hopefully I won't bomb and make myself look stupid (more motivation!).

One effect of these boards is that they adjust your thinking about percentiles. Basically makes you feel like your actual percentile is whatever percentile of the 99th percentile that you are in.

vinnnyvincenzo

Postby vinnnyvincenzo » Tue May 07, 2013 9:38 am

Pneumonia wrote: Basically makes you feel like your actual percentile is whatever percentile of the 99th percentile that you are in.

Wasnt type-A douchebaggery until this point. :wink:

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue May 07, 2013 10:04 am

For the record, I advise, during your prep to ignore pretty much everything but the LSAT. Don't wander to What are my chances, Choosing a law school, or anything else if you can avoid it. Don't look at LSN or anything like that. Think of the LSAT as something to be defeated, and focus on that.

Gamine

Postby Gamine » Tue May 07, 2013 10:18 am

NoodleyOne wrote:For the record, I advise, during your prep to ignore pretty much everything but the LSAT. Don't wander to What are my chances, Choosing a law school, or anything else if you can avoid it. Don't look at LSN or anything like that. Think of the LSAT as something to be defeated, and focus on that.

I agree ... the rest is such a distraction. I can spend hours looking for info on TLS

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue May 07, 2013 10:38 am

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Tue May 07, 2013 10:50 am

NoodleyOne wrote:For the record, I advise, during your prep to ignore pretty much everything but the LSAT. Don't wander to What are my chances, Choosing a law school, or anything else if you can avoid it. Don't look at LSN or anything like that. Think of the LSAT as something to be defeated, and focus on that.

I've actually found it helpful to go on LSN just for a few minutes no more than twice a week to see how much a few extra points can help. Seeing the difference in scholarships between a 167 and a 169 at certain schools or acceptances between a 172/174 at other schools makes the consequences look a bit more real.

tehkris

Postby tehkris » Tue May 07, 2013 3:28 pm

Gamine wrote:

I agree ... the rest is such a distraction. I can spend hours looking for info on TLS

like i do :wink:

dubster101

Postby dubster101 » Tue May 07, 2013 3:48 pm

Pneumonia wrote:I don't think I'm in the minority on this board in saying that I've been motivated by wanting to simply do well. I know that sounds like type-A douchebaggery, but seeing everyone on here with 175+ really makes me wanna think "yea, I can do better than that." LST and debt etc are motivational too, but they don't seem as immediate all the time; the competition (against peers and the test itself) has been my main motivation.

I've really enjoyed studying and improving and treating the LSAT like a videogame that I need to beat. I look forward to my prep time, and I'm looking forward to June. Hopefully I won't bomb and make myself look stupid (more motivation!).

One effect of these boards is that they adjust your thinking about percentiles. Basically makes you feel like your actual percentile is whatever percentile of the 99th percentile that you are in.

I quite agree. Whether I decide to go to law school or not, my motivation isn't really driven by aspirations of what a high LSAT can do or what the consequences of a low LSAT are. Rather, I feel like scoring in the 99th percentile is a challenge, and one that I'm determined to overcome. I find the test quite interesting (sort of like an intellectual challenge, if you will), and enjoy practicing because of it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”