5 weeks to go - how should I structure them?

AT9

5 weeks to go - how should I structure them?

Postby AT9 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:57 pm

Good people of TLS: with 5 weeks left to go, how should I structure my study plan with the material I have and the improvements I need to make? In LR, I'm consistently missing -2 to -4 per section, which I'm comfortable with at this point. Areas I need to improve....

LG: I'm only able to get through about 18/19 questions per section. How do I boost speed and maintain my accuracy with 5 weeks to go? I usually getting -4 to -6 per section.

RC: I'm missing about an equal number of questions in RC as I am LG. Again, speed is my main problem. I usually get through 3 passage sets and then have to speed read the last section, answer the short questions, and guess the rest.

My PTs have ranged from 164 to 170 and my goal score is 170. When I was cramming for the February test, I was getting 158's to 161's, so I've mad strides just by relaxing and focusing more when I am studying. Its quality over quantity for me.

Anyway, I have about 20 remaining PTs. How should I approach my remaining time with plenty of material? Keep in mind I have a wife who I can't completely ignore and I have a fairly stressful full time job. Thanks for your help!

AT9

Re: 5 weeks to go - how should I structure them?

Postby AT9 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:11 pm

Quick edit...I now have over FORTY mostly unused PTs, now that my coworker has donated her old tests to me.

Typhoon24

Postby Typhoon24 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 pm

well, you're in a good place, and a 170 is possible. For LG, honestly the only advice that can be given is try to make your diagrams as sharp as possible before hitting the questions. The rest is just experience and practice. For example, here's something I learned that may be of use: Let's say you have the variables a,b,c,d, and e. the question asks which of the variables can't be in the group? if A and B are tied to the same and only rule where they are mentioned (if C is in, then both A and B are out) you can immediately eliminate both A and B from the answer choices because it wouldn't make sense for one to be eliminated while the other stays.

little tricks like that come with more and more practice and 5 weeks is definitely enough time to hone your LG skills. good luck! I'm taking it in june as well, so wish me luck too haha.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Mon May 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Typhoon24 wrote:well, you're in a good place, and a 170 is possible. For LG, honestly the only advice that can be given is try to make your diagrams as sharp as possible before hitting the questions. The rest is just experience and practice. For example, here's something I learned that may be of use: Let's say you have the variables a,b,c,d, and e. the question asks which of the variables can't be in the group? if A and B are tied to the same and only rule where they are mentioned (if C is in, then both A and B are out) you can immediately eliminate both A and B from the answer choices because it wouldn't make sense for one to be eliminated while the other stays.

little tricks like that come with more and more practice and 5 weeks is definitely enough time to hone your LG skills. good luck! I'm taking it in june as well, so wish me luck too haha.

Thanks for the advice! I've been noticing little shortcuts like that too. I'm thinking drilling LG and RC like crazy is probably my best bet to improve in those areas....just 5 weeks of torture will hopefully lead to a very happy day in July!

Ha, best of luck to you as well!

Beercules

Postby Beercules » Tue May 07, 2013 8:53 am

Been driving myself crazy with studying, I didn't even realize we had 5 weeks as opposed to 4 until I read this post. I feel like I just found 20 bucks in my pants pocket.

Thank you OP.

ampm

Postby ampm » Tue May 07, 2013 9:33 pm

Which PT's should we be focusing on around this time?

I've done all my concept analysis on PT's 7 through 20. I figured I'd do the LR and LG for 21 - 29 in the next few days. And then take PT30-? as regular exams every single day, possibly even doubling up.

Does this sound appropriate or should I focus on tests later than PT30?

Save_Ferris

Postby Save_Ferris » Tue May 07, 2013 9:48 pm

I retook with 4 weeks to study and raise my score and the way I structured it was alternating every day between PT and drilling. I mainly focused on the later tests. So I would take a practice test one day, score it, and review it. I kept data on which questions I got wrong. Then I used the data to figure out which types in each section I was getting wrong most frequently and the next day I would drill, drill, drill and review until I felt like I got it. Then each PT would give me more data so I was able to focus most on what I was getting wrong.

The best advice I have for timing would be to focus on accuracy. When you focus on accuracy and start to see patterns in the test you'll get faster. Good Luck!!!

AT9

Postby AT9 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:49 pm

ampm wrote:Which PT's should we be focusing on around this time?

I've done all my concept analysis on PT's 7 through 20. I figured I'd do the LR and LG for 21 - 29 in the next few days. And then take PT30-? as regular exams every single day, possibly even doubling up.

Does this sound appropriate or should I focus on tests later than PT30?

If you can do that many PT's without burning out, go for it. There's no way I could do that (couldn't even do half that with any reasonable improvement in January).

Save_Ferris wrote:I retook with 4 weeks to study and raise my score and the way I structured it was alternating every day between PT and drilling. I mainly focused on the later tests. So I would take a practice test one day, score it, and review it. I kept data on which questions I got wrong. Then I used the data to figure out which types in each section I was getting wrong most frequently and the next day I would drill, drill, drill and review until I felt like I got it. Then each PT would give me more data so I was able to focus most on what I was getting wrong.

The best advice I have for timing would be to focus on accuracy. When you focus on accuracy and start to see patterns in the test you'll get faster. Good Luck!!!

When I was taking PT's every other day in prep for the February LSAT, I wasn't improving at all. Just too many PT's in too short a time span. However, I've noticed great improvement just doing some drilling for 1-2 hours a day. Right now I'm primarily drilling RC and LG during the week and then I'll take a full PT on the weekend. Drilled LG last night and -1 out of 2 sections (granted, it took me longer than 35 mins a section). Drilled 2 RC sections today and went -3 and -1, both well within 35 minutes.

While I didn't think about it before, your accuracy advice makes total sense. The more accurate I've become with practice, the quicker I get (though I'm still too slow...). Oh well! Thanks for bringing that up - I hadn't thought about it that way before.

Daily_Double

Postby Daily_Double » Thu May 09, 2013 12:08 am

AT9 wrote:Good people of TLS: with 5 weeks left to go, how should I structure my study plan with the material I have and the improvements I need to make? In LR, I'm consistently missing -2 to -4 per section, which I'm comfortable with at this point. Areas I need to improve....

This is an issue. Given that you're scoring in the high 160s and low 170s, and your average RC scores, you should focus on LR. You've obviously got the capacity to score -0, now you need to translate ability into reality. The best way to do this is review. Focus on the assumption family, this is most of the section, diagram inference questions and parallel questions. Make this section -0.

AT9 wrote:LG: I'm only able to get through about 18/19 questions per section. How do I boost speed and maintain my accuracy with 5 weeks to go? I usually getting -4 to -6 per section.

Huh, your timing is off. The reason I'm surprised is that once you get good at games, timing isn't an issue. Sadly, the only way to get better at games, and timing is to redo games, again, and again. This can be -0, easily, just get there.

AT9 wrote:RC: I'm missing about an equal number of questions in RC as I am LG. Again, speed is my main problem. I usually get through 3 passage sets and then have to speed read the last section, answer the short questions, and guess the rest.

I wish I had good advice to give here. But I really don't. Learn what works for you and redo old passages.

AT9 wrote:Anyway, I have about 20 remaining PTs. How should I approach my remaining time with plenty of material? Keep in mind I have a wife who I can't completely ignore and I have a fairly stressful full time job. Thanks for your help!

You have to focus on the most recent PTs 50 -68, and really focus on LR and LG. Yes, you should keep working on RC, but it's easier to improve LR and LG than RC, therefore, with the limited amount of time you have remaining, you should focus intensely on those sections.

I'm doing at least six timed previous PT sections every two days at random places, most of these are just old sections from 40 upwards but I'm also working in what have been classified as the toughest LG and RC sections, two timed 5-section PTs a week at my test center from 60 upward, reviewing thoroughly, and drinking to vent on Fridays. I recommend you do something similar. Good luck bud, June will be weak sauce, just finish strong.

AT9

Postby AT9 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:50 am

Daily_Double wrote:
AT9 wrote:Good people of TLS: with 5 weeks left to go, how should I structure my study plan with the material I have and the improvements I need to make? In LR, I'm consistently missing -2 to -4 per section, which I'm comfortable with at this point. Areas I need to improve....

This is an issue. Given that you're scoring in the high 160s and low 170s, and your average RC scores, you should focus on LR. You've obviously got the capacity to score -0, now you need to translate ability into reality. The best way to do this is review. Focus on the assumption family, this is most of the section, diagram inference questions and parallel questions. Make this section -0.

AT9 wrote:LG: I'm only able to get through about 18/19 questions per section. How do I boost speed and maintain my accuracy with 5 weeks to go? I usually getting -4 to -6 per section.

Huh, your timing is off. The reason I'm surprised is that once you get good at games, timing isn't an issue. Sadly, the only way to get better at games, and timing is to redo games, again, and again. This can be -0, easily, just get there.

AT9 wrote:RC: I'm missing about an equal number of questions in RC as I am LG. Again, speed is my main problem. I usually get through 3 passage sets and then have to speed read the last section, answer the short questions, and guess the rest.

I wish I had good advice to give here. But I really don't. Learn what works for you and redo old passages.

AT9 wrote:Anyway, I have about 20 remaining PTs. How should I approach my remaining time with plenty of material? Keep in mind I have a wife who I can't completely ignore and I have a fairly stressful full time job. Thanks for your help!

You have to focus on the most recent PTs 50 -68, and really focus on LR and LG. Yes, you should keep working on RC, but it's easier to improve LR and LG than RC, therefore, with the limited amount of time you have remaining, you should focus intensely on those sections.

I'm doing at least six timed previous PT sections every two days at random places, most of these are just old sections from 40 upwards but I'm also working in what have been classified as the toughest LG and RC sections, two timed 5-section PTs a week at my test center from 60 upward, reviewing thoroughly, and drinking to vent on Fridays. I recommend you do something similar. Good luck bud, June will be weak sauce, just finish strong.

Thanks for all the tips. With LR, I said I was comfortable with where I am right now (not comfortable missing -4 in general). But, you have a good point. Timing isn't an issue on LR, so I'll be in good shape if I can pinpoint and correct the mistakes I'm making. I think I'll make LR more of a drilling priority in order to perfect half of the test.

As I stated above with RC, I was able to do MUCH better drilling a couple sections tonight. No timing issues and only -4 out of some 52 questions. Weird. And with LG, that's all I plan to do....my accuracy is fine, and I'm hoping my speed will naturally increase as I do more of them.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips! I think I can get pretty comfortable with everything in the closing weeks; I just want to look for any bits of wisdom (like yours) that I can get. Good luck to you as well.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Thu May 09, 2013 1:03 am

I'd just like to strongly recommend that you start mixing up PT's, moving bottom to top you're not going to see any of the most valuable tests (the most recent ones). The test has evolved significantly, and not exposing yourself at least to the 60's is a terrible idea.

ampm

Postby ampm » Sun May 26, 2013 8:02 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'd just like to strongly recommend that you start mixing up PT's, moving bottom to top you're not going to see any of the most valuable tests (the most recent ones). The test has evolved significantly, and not exposing yourself at least to the 60's is a terrible idea.

Currently I'm focusing on 50's and I'm taking the June exam. I figured this week I'll throw in a few 60's. But my collection of exams only goes up to 64.

Is this ok? I heard that 50's to 60's are good.

SteelPenguin

Postby SteelPenguin » Sun May 26, 2013 8:14 pm

ampm wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:I'd just like to strongly recommend that you start mixing up PT's, moving bottom to top you're not going to see any of the most valuable tests (the most recent ones). The test has evolved significantly, and not exposing yourself at least to the 60's is a terrible idea.

Currently I'm focusing on 50's and I'm taking the June exam. I figured this week I'll throw in a few 60's. But my collection of exams only goes up to 64.

If I were you, I would REALLY buy the newest ones off of Cambridge. Why not get the 3-4 most recently administered tests for around $30? I realize it gets pricey, but I learned very valuable lessons taking PTs 66-68. You get more of the newer LGs, more of the comparative RCS, etc. For example, the most recent LSATS, at least to me, seem to place more emphasis on completing the earlier LGs especially quickly in order to complete the longer 3/4 games. I notice this more in the past 2-3 game sections than in other 50s PTs.

ampm

Postby ampm » Sun May 26, 2013 8:48 pm

SteelPenguin wrote:
ampm wrote:

If I were you, I would REALLY buy the newest ones off of Cambridge. Why not get the 3-4 most recently administered tests for around $30? I realize it gets pricey, but I learned very valuable lessons taking PTs 66-68. You get more of the newer LGs, more of the comparative RCS, etc. For example, the most recent LSATS, at least to me, seem to place more emphasis on completing the earlier LGs especially quickly in order to complete the longer 3/4 games. I notice this more in the past 2-3 game sections than in other 50s PTs.

I see what you're saying. In that case I'll look into grabbing them.

My biggest area that I need to focus on is LR.

Games tend to go very fast for me and I've definitely encountered the situations where the first 2 games I breeze through and I need to focus more on the 3/4 game.

Also I've been seeing the trend in increasing number of hypos.

Overall my test breakdown is usually: LR: -2 to -4 points, LG: -0 to -1, RC: -2 to -3

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun May 26, 2013 8:53 pm

Buy them as PDFs for instant download. Look at it as 4 hours of fun for under 10 bucks. Cheaper than whatever else you'll prob being doing for 4 hours.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 26, 2013 11:16 pm

meegee

Postby meegee » Sun May 26, 2013 11:19 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Buy them as PDFs for instant download. Look at it as 4 hours of fun for under 10 bucks. Cheaper than whatever else you'll prob being doing for 4 hours.

That made me laugh out loud. "Look at it as 4 hours of fun" HAHAH
I like that mentality. I'm actually starting to see logic games as fun puzzles. RC is still a bitch though, especially those scientific passages ._.

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun May 26, 2013 11:26 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”