BEST METHOD Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
well.let's.see

New

BEST METHOD

Post by well.let's.see » Fri May 03, 2013 5:43 pm

So, here's my proposal...let's try and come up with THE BEST LSAT METHOD by mix and matching the various strategies/approaches from all the companies and programs out there.

e.g. Powerscore LR ; Blueprint RC ; Testmasters LG (I am not proposing this, just an example)

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Re: BEST METHOD

Post by tuffyjohnson » Fri May 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Haven't read anything but Manhattan for LR yet, but wow is it thorough for LR. Very impressed.

For LG - It's Blueprint, and then Powerscore as a pretty close second.

altoid99

Bronze

Post by altoid99 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Does anyone else do this?:

I tend to work logical reasoning sections from the end to the start. I feel like by doing this, I get more of the difficult questions correctly due to not feeling constrained/pressured by time. Even when I feel like I'm short on time at the end of the section, I can usually answer the questions at the beginning of the section relatively quickly since they tend to be easier. It's a risky strategy of course since you don't get extra points for getting the more difficult questions right, but it seems to work for me. The trick is to not spend TOO much time on the difficult questions and not get demoralized if you get stuck on one early and allow that to set the tone for the rest of the section.

CardozoLaw09

Gold

Post by CardozoLaw09 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:05 pm

altoid99 wrote:Does anyone else do this?:

I tend to work logical reasoning sections from the end to the start. I feel like by doing this, I get more of the difficult questions correctly due to not feeling constrained/pressured by time. Even when I feel like I'm short on time at the end of the section, I can usually answer the questions at the beginning of the section relatively quickly since they tend to be easier. It's a risky strategy of course since you don't get extra points for getting the more difficult questions right, but it seems to work for me. The trick is to not spend TOO much time on the difficult questions and not get demoralized if you get stuck on one early and allow that to set the tone for the rest of the section.
For myself I like to work in order because 1) timing is not really an issue for me as I seem to have at least a few mins to spare and 2) I like having the easier questions warm me up for the harder ones later. After doing about 14 or so questions you're just in that "zone" where you've been applying the principles of LR steadily and that carries on to the more harder questions later in the section, which ultimately make them easier to handle. YMMV of course

altoid99

Bronze

Post by altoid99 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:

For myself I like to work in order because 1) timing is not really an issue for me as I seem to have at least a few mins to spare and 2) I like having the easier questions warm me up for the harder ones later. After doing about 14 or so questions you're just in that "zone" where you've been applying the principles of LR steadily and that carries on to the more harder questions later in the section, which ultimately make them easier to handle. YMMV of course
That's a good point. I've thought about that and it seems reasonable. I think I'm just gonna mix up strategies in the next month and see what works best.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mvonh001

Silver

Post by mvonh001 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:00 am

I tried this and EPIC FAIL. I dont know why, but i spent too much time on the hard ones and i feel i missed easy ones trying to recover from spending soo much time on the difficult questions. I'm sticking to 1-~26 from now on.

well.let's.see

New

Post by well.let's.see » Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:Haven't read anything but Manhattan for LR yet, but wow is it thorough for LR. Very impressed.

For LG - It's Blueprint, and then Powerscore as a pretty close second.

I haven't checked out Manhattan...I liked Blueprint LR, though. Not too much, but enough.

What about RC strategies?

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Post by tuffyjohnson » Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 pm

well.let's.see wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:

NoodleyOne

Gold

Post by NoodleyOne » Sat May 04, 2013 11:16 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
VAMPS. MLSAT RC is good. It has approaches for question-types as opposed to based on the type of passage (which I believe PS does).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tuffyjohnson

Bronze

Post by tuffyjohnson » Sat May 04, 2013 11:19 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
VAMPS. MLSAT RC is good. It has approaches for question-types as opposed to based on the type of passage (which I believe PS does).
Right, who the fuck cares what the subject matter is? How does that matter method wise?

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:42 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaseyb002

New

Post by kaseyb002 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:57 pm

I've tried this before and didn't like it as much.

I'm not accusing you of this, but I know when I started doing stuff like this I was getting disparate for improvement. I thought some superficial gimmick was gonna help me make that leap. I think I have come to realize that nothing can substitute for copious drilling.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”