BEST METHOD

well.let's.see
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

BEST METHOD

Postby well.let's.see » Fri May 03, 2013 5:43 pm

So, here's my proposal...let's try and come up with THE BEST LSAT METHOD by mix and matching the various strategies/approaches from all the companies and programs out there.

e.g. Powerscore LR ; Blueprint RC ; Testmasters LG (I am not proposing this, just an example)

User avatar
tuffyjohnson
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby tuffyjohnson » Fri May 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Haven't read anything but Manhattan for LR yet, but wow is it thorough for LR. Very impressed.

For LG - It's Blueprint, and then Powerscore as a pretty close second.

User avatar
altoid99
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 am

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby altoid99 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:51 pm

Does anyone else do this?:

I tend to work logical reasoning sections from the end to the start. I feel like by doing this, I get more of the difficult questions correctly due to not feeling constrained/pressured by time. Even when I feel like I'm short on time at the end of the section, I can usually answer the questions at the beginning of the section relatively quickly since they tend to be easier. It's a risky strategy of course since you don't get extra points for getting the more difficult questions right, but it seems to work for me. The trick is to not spend TOO much time on the difficult questions and not get demoralized if you get stuck on one early and allow that to set the tone for the rest of the section.

User avatar
CardozoLaw09
Posts: 1749
Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:05 pm

altoid99 wrote:Does anyone else do this?:

I tend to work logical reasoning sections from the end to the start. I feel like by doing this, I get more of the difficult questions correctly due to not feeling constrained/pressured by time. Even when I feel like I'm short on time at the end of the section, I can usually answer the questions at the beginning of the section relatively quickly since they tend to be easier. It's a risky strategy of course since you don't get extra points for getting the more difficult questions right, but it seems to work for me. The trick is to not spend TOO much time on the difficult questions and not get demoralized if you get stuck on one early and allow that to set the tone for the rest of the section.


For myself I like to work in order because 1) timing is not really an issue for me as I seem to have at least a few mins to spare and 2) I like having the easier questions warm me up for the harder ones later. After doing about 14 or so questions you're just in that "zone" where you've been applying the principles of LR steadily and that carries on to the more harder questions later in the section, which ultimately make them easier to handle. YMMV of course

User avatar
altoid99
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:04 am

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby altoid99 » Fri May 03, 2013 9:09 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
altoid99 wrote:Does anyone else do this?:

I tend to work logical reasoning sections from the end to the start. I feel like by doing this, I get more of the difficult questions correctly due to not feeling constrained/pressured by time. Even when I feel like I'm short on time at the end of the section, I can usually answer the questions at the beginning of the section relatively quickly since they tend to be easier. It's a risky strategy of course since you don't get extra points for getting the more difficult questions right, but it seems to work for me. The trick is to not spend TOO much time on the difficult questions and not get demoralized if you get stuck on one early and allow that to set the tone for the rest of the section.


For myself I like to work in order because 1) timing is not really an issue for me as I seem to have at least a few mins to spare and 2) I like having the easier questions warm me up for the harder ones later. After doing about 14 or so questions you're just in that "zone" where you've been applying the principles of LR steadily and that carries on to the more harder questions later in the section, which ultimately make them easier to handle. YMMV of course


That's a good point. I've thought about that and it seems reasonable. I think I'm just gonna mix up strategies in the next month and see what works best.

User avatar
mvonh001
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby mvonh001 » Sat May 04, 2013 1:00 am

altoid99 wrote:Does anyone else do this?:

I tend to work logical reasoning sections from the end to the start. I feel like by doing this, I get more of the difficult questions correctly due to not feeling constrained/pressured by time. Even when I feel like I'm short on time at the end of the section, I can usually answer the questions at the beginning of the section relatively quickly since they tend to be easier. It's a risky strategy of course since you don't get extra points for getting the more difficult questions right, but it seems to work for me. The trick is to not spend TOO much time on the difficult questions and not get demoralized if you get stuck on one early and allow that to set the tone for the rest of the section.


I tried this and EPIC FAIL. I dont know why, but i spent too much time on the hard ones and i feel i missed easy ones trying to recover from spending soo much time on the difficult questions. I'm sticking to 1-~26 from now on.

well.let's.see
Posts: 53
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby well.let's.see » Sat May 04, 2013 4:44 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:Haven't read anything but Manhattan for LR yet, but wow is it thorough for LR. Very impressed.

For LG - It's Blueprint, and then Powerscore as a pretty close second.



I haven't checked out Manhattan...I liked Blueprint LR, though. Not too much, but enough.

What about RC strategies?

User avatar
tuffyjohnson
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sat May 04, 2013 11:14 pm

well.let's.see wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
What about RC strategies?

User avatar
NoodleyOne
Posts: 2358
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby NoodleyOne » Sat May 04, 2013 11:16 pm

tuffyjohnson wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
What about RC strategies?

VAMPS. MLSAT RC is good. It has approaches for question-types as opposed to based on the type of passage (which I believe PS does).

User avatar
tuffyjohnson
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sat May 04, 2013 11:19 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:
What about RC strategies?

VAMPS. MLSAT RC is good. It has approaches for question-types as opposed to based on the type of passage (which I believe PS does).


Right, who the fuck cares what the subject matter is? How does that matter method wise?

062914123
Posts: 1846
Joined: Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby 062914123 » Sat May 04, 2013 11:42 pm

.
Last edited by 062914123 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaseyb002
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: BEST METHOD

Postby kaseyb002 » Sun May 05, 2013 1:57 pm

altoid99 wrote:Does anyone else do this?:

I tend to work logical reasoning sections from the end to the start. I feel like by doing this, I get more of the difficult questions correctly due to not feeling constrained/pressured by time. Even when I feel like I'm short on time at the end of the section, I can usually answer the questions at the beginning of the section relatively quickly since they tend to be easier. It's a risky strategy of course since you don't get extra points for getting the more difficult questions right, but it seems to work for me. The trick is to not spend TOO much time on the difficult questions and not get demoralized if you get stuck on one early and allow that to set the tone for the rest of the section.


I've tried this before and didn't like it as much.

I'm not accusing you of this, but I know when I started doing stuff like this I was getting disparate for improvement. I thought some superficial gimmick was gonna help me make that leap. I think I have come to realize that nothing can substitute for copious drilling.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: gaandrsn, Google [Bot], The_Pluviophile and 9 guests