Cancel LSAT? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
warandpeace

Bronze

Cancel LSAT?

Post by warandpeace » Fri May 03, 2013 4:09 pm

This is for June 2013. Should I sit for the test and get the test day experience and cancel afterwards and retake in October, or is this detrimental? Does this look bad? The refund is only $49, I feel like the test day jitters may be invaluable to prepare me for my October test. What are your personal thoughts?

tehkris

New

Re: Cancel LSAT?

Post by tehkris » Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm

warandpeace wrote:This is for June 2013. Should I sit for the test and get the test day experience and cancel afterwards and retake in October, or is this detrimental? Does this look bad? The refund is only $49, I feel like the test day jitters may be invaluable to prepare me for my October test. What are your personal thoughts?
It's not a matter of jitters but of preparation. If you don't feel studied or confident in owning the test then I think it better to wait. I'm retaking in June and I know I'll have jitters regardless of being mentally prepared. So to conclude, if you feel you learned the test enough to be successful take it in June. If not, take it in October.

objection_your_honor

Silver

Post by objection_your_honor » Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm

I don't think whatever small benefit in performance you may get the second time is worth a cancel. Not that it really matters for admission purposes, but it's a waste of a take given they are limited to three times in two years.

Nervousness and anxiety will naturally decrease as you develop more of a command over the material.

boblawlob

Silver

Post by boblawlob » Fri May 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Depends where you are PTing at. If you are PTing low 160s, then whether you have jitters or not you aren't prepared to do well on the LSAT and you've just basically wasted 1 fresh PT for the Oct LSAT. 166 and above in PT would warrant a sitting in on the LSAT and then canceling.

Be extremely careful though.

Let's say you are adamant on applying next cycle.

You take June LSAT. Cancel. Take Oct LSAT. 165. Oh noes! T14 is out of reach. You have then 1 last retake. It's do or die. Use wisely.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Fri May 03, 2013 5:22 pm

There is no experience gained in taking an LSAT if you can recreate (a) strict timing with the breaks and rules (b) the presence of other people (ie, a library)

Cancelling after taking doesn't look too good, so really there's a negative and no positives...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri May 03, 2013 5:27 pm

boblawlob wrote: You take June LSAT. Cancel. Take Oct LSAT. 165. Oh noes! T14 is out of reach. You have then 1 last retake. It's do or die. Use wisely.
Learn from my mistake. This is pretty much what happened to me. Except I didn't even get a 165. If only I can have that one back. I'd love to be able to take it this October if this June doesn't go well, but I don't have that luxury anymore.

totoro

Bronze

Post by totoro » Fri May 03, 2013 5:28 pm

I think one cancel is okay. However like another poster said, you only have three tries (assuming you want to go to law school in the next couple of years). And a lot of people underperform their first time. So I would not use one of the tries just to "test out" what the LSAT is like. Probably a better idea is to take your first try in Oct. and if you need to, take it again in Dec.

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Fri May 03, 2013 6:29 pm

objection_your_honor wrote: Nervousness and anxiety will naturally decrease as you develop more of a command over the material.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 pm

warandpeace wrote:This is for June 2013. Should I sit for the test and get the test day experience and cancel afterwards and retake in October, or is this detrimental? Does this look bad? The refund is only $49, I feel like the test day jitters may be invaluable to prepare me for my October test. What are your personal thoughts?
Canceling will have zero impact on your admission decision, Your LSAC Report will look like this, fyi:

June /
October 180

I sorta gave you the benfit of the doubt on OCT, but either way the / has zero impact on the admission decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”