1 month out and and I'm freaking out

Young Marino

1 month out and and I'm freaking out

Postby Young Marino » Thu May 02, 2013 11:05 pm

Ok so we are one month away from the June exam and I am freaking out.. I'm enrolled in a Kaplan course and I am still about 2 to 4 points off of my target score.. for the past week, I have been been practicing sections by doing three 35 minute timed section (one of LR, LG & RC) I'm not seeing improvement just yet though. I usually do this during the day and following that up with at least 10-15 LR questions, 2 LG and 2 RC at night (usually before I go to work, which where I'm at almost every night) also throwing in a PT once a week .. I am pretty good with where I'm at with LG but I can seriously use some help on LR and especially RC any any suggestions? I'm really broke right now since this course cost me a lot of dough but I do have an abundance of test prep materials. Tips, strategies and/or advice is welcome! Please help!

tuffyjohnson

Re: 1 month out and and I'm freaking out

Postby tuffyjohnson » Fri May 03, 2013 11:43 am

Breath. Seriously. Being 2-4 points off and over a month away is totally doable. Keep doing what you're doing and try to relax a bit. Check out a few of the posts we've had on mindfulness. I am sure you will be getting a little better in the coming weeks.

EDIT: I am also trying to follow my own advice :D

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri May 03, 2013 11:58 am

tuffyjohnson wrote:Breath. Seriously. Being 2-4 points off and over a month away is totally doable. Keep doing what you're doing and try to relax a bit. Check out a few of the posts we've had on mindfulness. I am sure you will be getting a little better in the coming weeks.

Haha. Thanks for the comforting words, I guess. I mean I'm hoping to just keep improving but I know a lot of the posters on here say that you should be scoring well above your target score with about a month to go.. I'm living on a prayer here

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Fri May 03, 2013 12:04 pm

You have five whole weekends of dedicated study before test day.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri May 03, 2013 4:48 pm

ALeal90 wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:Breath. Seriously. Being 2-4 points off and over a month away is totally doable. Keep doing what you're doing and try to relax a bit. Check out a few of the posts we've had on mindfulness. I am sure you will be getting a little better in the coming weeks.

Haha. Thanks for the comforting words, I guess. I mean I'm hoping to just keep improving but I know a lot of the posters on here say that you should be scoring well above your target score with about a month to go.. I'm living on a prayer here

A lot of people on the internet say a lot of things.

2-4 points with over a month to go means you're in great shape. The worst thing you can do right now is freak out, as I guarantee that leads you to not hitting your target. Instead, slow down, breathe, and keep up the practice and hard work.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri May 03, 2013 7:00 pm

bp shinners wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:

A lot of people on the internet say a lot of things.

2-4 points with over a month to go means you're in great shape. The worst thing you can do right now is freak out, as I guarantee that leads you to not hitting your target. Instead, slow down, breathe, and keep up the practice and hard work.

Thanks bud I really appreciate that. I noticed the more I freak out and try too hard on my timed sections, the worse I do.. just gotta chill out and keep on trucking

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Fri May 03, 2013 7:04 pm

ALeal90 wrote:I noticed the more I freak out and try too hard on my timed sections, the worse I do.. just gotta chill out and keep on trucking

THIS.

Young Marino

Postby Young Marino » Fri May 03, 2013 7:04 pm

I also think I'm just gonna spend the day at the beach tomorrow and just take my mind off of this stuff. I've been going at it for 5 days straight now even though I usually go 4 days straight, 1 day off, 1 day on, 1 day off then back to 4.. I should probably stay in that rhythm right?

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Fri May 03, 2013 7:23 pm

Having not even read the whole thread I would recommend this, chill out and relax, continue to remain confident.

boblawlob

Postby boblawlob » Fri May 03, 2013 8:13 pm

Wormfather wrote:
ALeal90 wrote:Ok so we are one month away from the June exam and I am freaking out.. I'm enrolled in a Kaplan course and I am still about 2 to 4 points off of my target score.. for the past week, I have been been practicing sections by doing three 35 minute timed section (one of LR, LG & RC) I'm not seeing improvement just yet though. I usually do this during the day and following that up with at least 10-15 LR questions, 2 LG and 2 RC at night (usually before I go to work, which where I'm at almost every night) also throwing in a PT once a week .. I am pretty good with where I'm at with LG but I can seriously use some help on LR and especially RC any any suggestions? I'm really broke right now since this course cost me a lot of dough but I do have an abundance of test prep materials. Tips, strategies and/or advice is welcome! Please help!

http://www.lsatqa.com

Put your sections/PTs in here, find you problem areas and drill like a mofo

This. But keep in mind that drilling and PTs won't help you improve if you don't know what you're doing wrong.

Especially with LR, figure out why you got a problem right and why you got it wrong. Let's say on drilling you got 2 necessary questions right and another one wrong. Why did you get that one wrong? Where did you slip up? Why did you get the other two right?

If you can break a problem that you've been having with down and be able to type out/write out an explanation why x is the right answer and everything else is wrong, then you are getting to where you should be in understanding LR.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri May 03, 2013 8:14 pm

chill and have a beer or two

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”