Detail;Except Questions on RC Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jcdjgd

New

Detail;Except Questions on RC

Post by jcdjgd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:50 pm

Is there any "BEST WAY" to approach these types of questions?

As an example, the question will be asked in some variation of...

The author mentions each of the following in the passage EXCEPT:
A
B
C
D
E

Obviously we have to choose the one that wasn't mentioned/used as support/etc.

I seem to get most of these questions wrong because I either rush them or answer them off memory. When I look at the explanations for these types of questions, they'll point out the exact line that each wrong answer choice was mentioned, which is good for reference, but in the heat of the moment, it's hard to locate ALLL FOUR choices. I'm realizing that I don't have a system for these Q types, and was hoping that some of you can offer your methods/tips to master this question type?

Thanks in advance.

Pneumonia

Gold

Re: Detail;Except Questions on RC

Post by Pneumonia » Thu May 02, 2013 2:16 pm

These can be tough for those that read fast. I think that one benefit of lots of exposure is that you can start to anticipate good candidates for such a list within the passage on your first read, though not always. When doing these questions I can usually remember two items, three if I'm lucky, that were certainly mentioned. At that point it's just trusting your memory and looking for the others.

In the complicated passage that don't easily lend themselves to memory I try to lightly underline proper/irregular nouns so that I can quickly scan for them. This is sometimes helpful, but not always.

jingosaur

Gold

Re: Detail;Except Questions on RC

Post by jingosaur » Thu May 02, 2013 4:23 pm

I've actually improved a lot at this question type. I can normally remember about 2 and cancel those out immediately. I look for the other 3 individually. The correct answer (the one not mentioned) normally has verbiage that is mentioned in the passage but has a critical word changed to make it incorrect. For example, the passage will say "Some law professors say that Legal Writing is unnecessary" and the answer choice will say "Some law students say that Legal Writing is unnecessary". Usually, I find the correct answer for the second of the three unknown choices. It's really worth it to spend the extra 20 seconds a look back in the passage.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”