Reality Check...

flat-fifth

Reality Check...

Postby flat-fifth » Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:59 pm

With just over a month until the test, I'm starting an increased PT regimen. Today, I simulated a proctored test using the June 2004 PT. The first LR section (#2) was an absolute disaster! :oops: However, I aced the second LR section (#3). I have no idea wtf happened, but I got the test from Powerscore's "Deconstructed" book and I'm damn sure gonna find out. Has this happened to anyone else?

Scotusnerd

Re: Reality Check...

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:13 pm

That's normal. You likely encountered a concept that was presented in a different way (logic reasoning really messed with me in the early 2000s). Is the 2004 test out of your norm of PTs?

The advice I got from my girlfriend was "read the question more carefully jackass."

It worked pretty well. :oops:

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:14 pm

People sometimes have off-days. Just make sure to review all your answers (both the ones you got right and the ones you got wrong) to see what kinds of issues you are having.

But here's the real reality check: If you are just starting to take full length practice tests now, you need to be taking at least one a day (if not two a day), spend at least 1-2 hours reviewing your test, and make sure you can get -0 consistently on LG.

Best of luck!

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:34 pm

It's normal to have off sections or off whole tests early on when you are just starting to do full timed practice tests since you are not used to the test day like conditions. Lots of practice should help you become more consistent because you'll get used to doing tests timed. Make sure to thoroughly review why you did poorly on that section for each question. Thoroughly review all tests/sections you take timed to figure out, after the fact, what went well and what went wrong that you need to work on, fix, improve, etc. Identifying mistakes/errors, things you are not sure of/don't fully understand, things you are not good at yet, etc. is critical between timed tests in order to improve as you progress.

Do not take two tests per day as the previous poster suggested, only take one in any given day and then use the rest of your time to review it. Do not take a full test every single day either, you will burn out before test day if you do that.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:54 pm

I 100% agree with Jeffort.

Taking multiple tests a day without stopping to review is at best a waste of time and at worst crippling, particularly if you have not worked your way up to it. You don't go from running a mile every other day to two miles a day without consequences. Same thing applies here.

jump_man

Postby jump_man » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:36 am

Scotusnerd wrote:I 100% agree with Jeffort.

Taking multiple tests a day without stopping to review is at best a waste of time and at worst crippling, particularly if you have not worked your way up to it. You don't go from running a mile every other day to two miles a day without consequences. Same thing applies here.

Different strokes for different folks. I did two-a-days and improved 19 points, but the important point here is just that any significant score improvement involves practice, practice, and more practice.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:51 am

jump_man wrote:Different strokes for different folks. I did two-a-days and improved 19 points, but the important point here is just that any significant score improvement involves practice, practice, and more practice.

Absolutely. I was just concerned about the potential for burnout for such a sudden shift. I didn't mean that 2 tests a day couldn't be useful, but that's something you have to work up to. You can't just start doing it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”