Tips for Parallel Reasoning?

Chriz

Tips for Parallel Reasoning?

Postby Chriz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 pm

I am going to go back over the PS Bible for parallel reasoning but I absolutely cannot get them. Any tips would be appreciated...

NoodleyOne

Re: Tips for Parallel Reasoning?

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:24 pm

I like Manhattan's approach better, because it's waaaaay simpler.

Basically, take all the words out and replace them with abstract variables. Some X are Y, but most Y are Z, so some X are Z or whatever. Don't let the length intimidate you. Go from wrong to right (there's normally only two good contenders anyway). The logic in PR questions is normally REALLY simple since you have six arguments to break down.

I think the biggest problem people have with PR is it's intimidating. It comes at the end of the section when time is probably running down, and you see this behemoth of a question in front of you. Just take a deep breath and tackle it.

Chriz

Postby Chriz » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks

okaygo

Postby okaygo » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:23 pm

Use the search function. There's some good tips from them. But I've learned that diagramming, even if I don't completely finish them, really helps because I get a better understanding of the nuances of the argument. Manhattan typically says eliminate answers that first don't match with the conclusion, then when those where the premise doesn't match. Eliminating answers choices that have a shift in words like some/only helps too.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”