How I improved my reading comp by 66% in less than a month

MiracleNeeded

How I improved my reading comp by 66% in less than a month

Postby MiracleNeeded » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:42 pm

This is a question post disguised as a how to of sorts. I did indeed score much better on RC in less than a month and will attempt to give the reasons I think that improvement happened, but I have a long way to go before my RC is perfect and I want to pose those questions too.

So my first diagnostic test was #68 which I now know was a stupid thing to do because I wasted the latest test on practice, but whatever, I terrible, I think maybe 9 right. On the 10 LSAT prep test book I took the first test and only got 5 RC questions right. I missed an entire passage and really took a crap on that test.

After reading the WSJ, the New Yorker (ugh) and the Atlantic Monthly, and getting used to keeping my concentration,rather than allowing my mind to wander off I decided to read the powerscore book on RC. With the help of some nootropics, and stimulants (all legal) I was able to power through the book in 3 days. I really focused on the drills and my notations and again, keeping my concentration. I did the practice sections with the clock set at 8:30 and found myself finishing on time, or needing about 35 more seconds. I was getting 1 or 2 wrong on those mini sections with good time. At most I got 3 wrong on one passage.

Then I decided to take 4 passages in a row to simulate an actual 35 minute section. Please keep in mind one thing about this. If you're familiar with PS's book. You'll know that there is a section on legal passages and how to attack them and scientific passages and how to attack them. Each review section has 2 full length passages, 2 for legal, 2 for science, I took them both, with bubble sheet, having to flip back and forth while closing my eyes to avoid seeing the answers at times. I do NOT know the difficulty level of these 4 passages, but since they are from legal and science I'm assuming they were on the harder side and if I'm wrong please let me know, if I'm right, please let me know even more because I love to hear that I'm right.

So I finished 3 passages, and had 3:39 left on the clock for the last passage which was a motherf**ker. I skimmed it, and tried my best, and failed to answer 3 jest ions,not that it matters because I got all questions wrong.

That is 30 questions of reading comp bubbling answers, and I got 15 right out of 30. The last time I got 5 right our of 23, a major improvement I think.

So if anything at all can be gleaned from this, and it can help any of you, that would make me happy, but also, I want to know how I can improve my time, and accuracy when the test becomes full length. Anything that can be added s appreciated. I am going to get the manhattan lsat RC book, and would like any recommendations on other such books.

Sam

NoodleyOne

Re: How I improved my reading comp by 66% in less than a month

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:51 pm

First, I don't think there's any real difference between the TYPE of passage, and I think setting up an approach for each one is a waste of time. I think I find it is VERY rare that someone has a problem with a particular passage type rather than a question type. Manhattan RC is much better for that, so I do recommend getting it. It's short, but it's packed with goodness.

Second, keep track of where your time goes. Do you spend more time on passages, or do you spend more time on questions? Do you find yourself constantly referring back to the passage on comprehension questions? If so you may need to slow down your reading. Secondly, while reading the Atlantic and WSJ and the Economist and Scientific American are great for helping you learn, their benefits for RC on the LSAT are overstated. Unless you're in danger of running out of tests (which I'm guessing you aren't), the best way to practice LSAT RC is to do LSAT RC. Try doing some untimed, and mark for each single question where you find the justification for your answer. Do this for six, seven passages, and then try a timed section and see if you improve.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:02 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:First, I don't think there's any real difference between the TYPE of passage, and I think setting up an approach for each one is a waste of time. I think I find it is VERY rare that someone has a problem with a particular passage type rather than a question type. Manhattan RC is much better for that, so I do recommend getting it. It's short, but it's packed with goodness.

Second, keep track of where your time goes. Do you spend more time on passages, or do you spend more time on questions? Do you find yourself constantly referring back to the passage on comprehension questions? If so you may need to slow down your reading. Secondly, while reading the Atlantic and WSJ and the Economist and Scientific American are great for helping you learn, their benefits for RC on the LSAT are overstated. Unless you're in danger of running out of tests (which I'm guessing you aren't), the best way to practice LSAT RC is to do LSAT RC. Try doing some untimed, and mark for each single question where you find the justification for your answer. Do this for six, seven passages, and then try a timed section and see if you improve.

Thanks for the input, I skimmed the manhattan book on rc and I agree, while short, it is packed with cool stuff. Not unlike the LG books PS AND manhattan have different approaches but both are good and have their place in anyone's game. I tend to agree that passage subject doesn't matter much, and while not a science guy, science passages don't intimidate me, BUT, the one section on "underrepresented groups" was kind of cool, how the LSAT has always written about blacks, Asians, and other minorities in a flattering light while talking about western Caucasians in a negative light and how you can almost predict the right answer to tone questions when reading one of the passages.

Lastly, I think that the extra reading helped me keep my concentration which I'm still working on.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:04 pm

Misread the intent of the post... congrats on the improvement. Don't let up though. You may want to try some of the things I suggested... they can help.

MiracleNeeded

Postby MiracleNeeded » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:Misread the intent of the post... congrats on the improvement. Don't let up though. You may want to try some of the things I suggested... they can help.

I absolutely will, thanks again. I took an actual 4 passage section earlier today. 15 of 27 right, skipped 7 questions, redid them,with a stop watch and got 4 of 7 took me 7:30 to do those 7 questions though.

I learned that dual passages are a big weak spot for me, and as you pointed out, I need to slow down on reading to not ate better as I go along.

RhymesLikeDimes

Postby RhymesLikeDimes » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:21 pm

I'm glad to see that you're making progress... but I don't know if giving advice on how to get to -15 on RC to a bunch of people who get manic depressive when we miss more than 3 in a section is really warranted.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:15 am

MiracleNeeded wrote:This is a question post disguised as a how to of sorts. I did indeed score much better on RC in less than a month and will attempt to give the reasons I think that improvement happened, but I have a long way to go before my RC is perfect and I want to pose those questions too.

So my first diagnostic test was #68 which I now know was a stupid thing to do because I wasted the latest test on practice, but whatever, I terrible, I think maybe 9 right. On the 10 LSAT prep test book I took the first test and only got 5 RC questions right. I missed an entire passage and really took a crap on that test.

After reading the WSJ, the New Yorker (ugh) and the Atlantic Monthly, and getting used to keeping my concentration,rather than allowing my mind to wander off I decided to read the powerscore book on RC. With the help of some nootropics, and stimulants (all legal) I was able to power through the book in 3 days. I really focused on the drills and my notations and again, keeping my concentration. I did the practice sections with the clock set at 8:30 and found myself finishing on time, or needing about 35 more seconds. I was getting 1 or 2 wrong on those mini sections with good time. At most I got 3 wrong on one passage.

Then I decided to take 4 passages in a row to simulate an actual 35 minute section. Please keep in mind one thing about this. If you're familiar with PS's book. You'll know that there is a section on legal passages and how to attack them and scientific passages and how to attack them. Each review section has 2 full length passages, 2 for legal, 2 for science, I took them both, with bubble sheet, having to flip back and forth while closing my eyes to avoid seeing the answers at times. I do NOT know the difficulty level of these 4 passages, but since they are from legal and science I'm assuming they were on the harder side and if I'm wrong please let me know, if I'm right, please let me know even more because I love to hear that I'm right.

So I finished 3 passages, and had 3:39 left on the clock for the last passage which was a motherf**ker. I skimmed it, and tried my best, and failed to answer 3 jest ions,not that it matters because I got all questions wrong.

That is 30 questions of reading comp bubbling answers, and I got 15 right out of 30. The last time I got 5 right our of 23, a major improvement I think.

So if anything at all can be gleaned from this, and it can help any of you, that would make me happy, but also, I want to know how I can improve my time, and accuracy when the test becomes full length. Anything that can be added s appreciated. I am going to get the manhattan lsat RC book, and would like any recommendations on other such books.

Sam

By the Manhattan RC book, does it matter which edition? I see on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Reading ... 1935707124 vs http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Reading ... nsion+lsat.

Don't really care about the three dollar difference, but just saw that 1 and only negative review for the latest edition. I mean that really doesn't mean much either since from what everyone at TLS says, this is a good prep book for RC. Just wanna make sure I have the right one though before buying.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:46 am

Both editions are identical. The change in third came with their lg book.

bombaysippin

Postby bombaysippin » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:59 am

Bajam wrote:
MiracleNeeded wrote:This is a question post disguised as a how to of sorts. I did indeed score much better on RC in less than a month and will attempt to give the reasons I think that improvement happened, but I have a long way to go before my RC is perfect and I want to pose those questions too.

Sam

By the Manhattan RC book, does it matter which edition? I see on amazon http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Reading ... 1935707124 vs http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Reading ... nsion+lsat.

Don't really care about the three dollar difference, but just saw that 1 and only negative review for the latest edition. I mean that really doesn't mean much either since from what everyone at TLS says, this is a good prep book for RC. Just wanna make sure I have the right one though before buying.

Awesome, thanks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”