LG Drilling Question

osubucknut

LG Drilling Question

Postby osubucknut » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:16 am

I am awful at logic games and am currently 1/2 through Manhattan's LG study guide. I keep reading that the best way to drill logic games is through pt sections. I have taken 3 pts already and plan on taking 2-3 a week once I finish this study guide. I don't want to use up my pts for drilling because I know I will be retaking the test in October. Does anyone have any other suggestions on drilling?

LSATGamesTutor

Re: LG Drilling Question

Postby LSATGamesTutor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:31 am

1) There are 250+ past LSAT games for you to work with, and many of them are available cheaply as part of a book of 10 past LSATs or, if you do some snooping around the web, available for free (illegally).

2) Even if you have used every past logic game, there is still a lot of value in doing games more than once until you can do them in 7-7.5 minutes (as long as you're using logic, even if it's the logic you figured out from the answers, to diagram and answer questions rather than rote memorization.

3) If you've used most and only have a few remaining, it's more important that you use them to improve your score rather than measure how you're doing (unless you're considering not taking the test if you perform poorly on a diagnostic). The best way to learn is to do a single game at a time and then check the explanations if you don't understand why any answer is the correct answer or if you weren't able to finish the game perfectly in a good time. I find that the "aha" moment you have when you figure out your mistake is more likely to stick with you if you check the explanations while the game is still fresh in your mind rather than after a full diagnostic.

Good luck.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:32 am

Buy the LSAC PT's. Make 3-4 copies of each relevant game. Sort them by type, and difficulty. Do each game. If you were in command of the game move to the next game. If you struggled with time or accuracy then review the 7 sage you tube clip for that game and re-do. I used Blueprint's LG book to tell me what games were most relevant and which were most difficult and tell me what type. Every now and then you will have to go back and review certain aspects of knowledge that is helpful to the LG section, such as, conditional logic. Don't be afraid to review the book materials and then come back to drilling as outlined above.

osubucknut

Postby osubucknut » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:38 am

Thanks guys. I own a majority of past tests already and was just afraid that using the tests to drill then retaking the sections during later pts would not truly show if I am improving or not.

LSATGamesTutor

Postby LSATGamesTutor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:57 am

tuffyjohnson wrote:Sort them by type, and difficulty. Do each game.

IMHO, don't sort them by type or difficulty. One of the most important skills you'll need to do well on the logic games section is figuring out how to turn a game and its rules into a diagram. Knowing what type of game you're doing before you start it limits your opportunity to improve that skill.

Good luck.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:55 pm

LSATGamesTutor wrote:
tuffyjohnson wrote:Sort them by type, and difficulty. Do each game.

IMHO, don't sort them by type or difficulty. One of the most important skills you'll need to do well on the logic games section is figuring out how to turn a game and its rules into a diagram. Knowing what type of game you're doing before you start it limits your opportunity to improve that skill.

Good luck.

Yeah, I agree, but that's what PT's are for. Crawl before walking.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”