Enough time for October test, or should I wait for Dec/Feb?

lollylon

Enough time for October test, or should I wait for Dec/Feb?

Postby lollylon » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:27 pm

I realize this is a difficult question for anyone but me to answer, but I'm just trying to gain a little insight and work up a study plan. I took a diagnostic and scored a 164--absolutely choked on the first LR and got a -11 (next 3 sections were -3 to -5). My goal is to break 175, hopefully better. In your experience, would the 5 months between now and the October test be enough time to make that leap, or would I be better served holding off until the December or February test? I won't be submitting applications until the 2014-2015 cycle, so I'm not worried about late apps, but if I don't do as well as I hope, I'd like time to retake. It sounds silly to me to even ask as it's so many months away, but I see here that many posters DO spend that much time studying. Am I already late to the game for October?

Mal Reynolds

Re: Enough time for October test, or should I wait for Dec/Feb?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:30 pm

This sounds like a dumb question. If you can take two to three new practice tests and reach your score goal or above, then take the test. If not, push it back. Like what other options are there even?

txdude45

Re: Enough time for October test, or should I wait for Dec/Feb?

Postby txdude45 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:34 pm

lollylon wrote:I realize this is a difficult question for anyone but me to answer, but I'm just trying to gain a little insight and work up a study plan. I took a diagnostic and scored a 164--absolutely choked on the first LR and got a -11 (next 3 sections were -3 to -5). My goal is to break 175, hopefully better. In your experience, would the 5 months between now and the October test be enough time to make that leap, or would I be better served holding off until the December or February test? I won't be submitting applications until the 2014-2015 cycle, so I'm not worried about late apps, but if I don't do as well as I hope, I'd like time to retake. It sounds silly to me to even ask as it's so many months away, but I see here that many posters DO spend that much time studying. Am I already late to the game for October?

You're not late at all. So long as you have a good schedule, 5 months in plenty. The people on here are mostly the more extreme studiers, so you've probably gotten the impression years of study is the norm. It isn't. (Don't do what I did, however, and study for a month)

Take it in October. If you don't like the score, go again in February. If you still hate the scores, go once more in June '14 and apply day 1 in September/October. You'll burn your 3 tests, but, if you're committed to entering school in Fall '15, it won't matter.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”