Necessary and Sufficient Assumption versus Justify questions

Josh4737

Necessary and Sufficient Assumption versus Justify questions

Postby Josh4737 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:55 pm

Hey everyone,
I'm currently reading the Manhattan LR book. Earlier this I read the LR Bible. The concept of necessary and sufficient assumption is a little tricky for me. Are sufficient assumptions and justify questions the same thing? In the Bible they say adaption questions can be negated but I find that sufficient assumptions cannot, just like justify questions. Also, both sufficient and justify can add the answer plus extraneous information yet necessary questions can not.

CardozoLaw09

Re: Necessary and Sufficient Assumption versus Justify questions

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:32 am

Josh4737 wrote: Are sufficient assumptions and justify questions the same thing?

Yes
Josh4737 wrote:In the Bible they say adaption assumption? questions can be negated but I find that sufficient assumptions cannot

This is true, a necessary assumption question can be negated to verify if the answer is correct - if the negated version undermines the conclusion then that A/C is most likely your answer. However this technique does not apply for sufficient assumption questions.

Josh4737

Postby Josh4737 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:05 am

Thank you very much for the clarification!

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:29 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote:
Josh4737 wrote: Are sufficient assumptions and justify questions the same thing?

Yes
Josh4737 wrote:In the Bible they say adaption assumption? questions can be negated but I find that sufficient assumptions cannot

This is true, a necessary assumption question can be negated to verify if the answer is correct - if the negated version undermines the conclusion then that A/C is most likely your answer. However this technique does not apply for sufficient assumption questions.

+1

This is the reason:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=171115#p4933572

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”