LR: To drill or not to drill?

zekeattack

LR: To drill or not to drill?

Postby zekeattack » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm retaking in October, and have all the old preptests(1-40) available to me as I used them a couple years ago. I understand the thinking behind drilling LR, however, I already have all the material from those tests and would like to avoid having to buy something I already own.

I just wrapped up Manhatten LR book, and found it pretty helpful. I've taken a few timed LR sections and was able to get -1 on two of them, something I don't think I ever accomplished my first go round of studying.

If I'm able to keep up a high level of performance on timed LR sections (-1 or 2) do I need to drill? If I struggle over the next month on LR, I might reconsider, or go through the PT's with questions classified. Am I trying to skip out on a necessary step on achieving a 175+?

nugnoy

Re: LR: To drill or not to drill?

Postby nugnoy » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:06 am

You don't need to drill if you're getting -1/-2 per section with good timing.

The benefits of drilling
1. get acquainted with a question type
2. get faster at doing one task
3. be able to recognize subtle differences and their implications in question stems of the same type

There's a downside to drilling - it relaxes the task of reading question stems because you consciously and subconsciously know what the stem is. Obviously, being able to efficiently switch one's approach to evaluating the answer choices is a necessary task that drilling doesn't promote at the very least (and deteriorates at worse).

It's not a necessary step to get 175+ for anyone. It's just a proven system/approach that helps people who aren't familiar with the LR overall or with a specific question type.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:02 am

You don't have to drill, but if you don't have PT 40-68 you're missing out on by far the most valuable tests to take.

zekeattack

Postby zekeattack » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:06 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You don't have to drill, but if you don't have PT 40-68 you're missing out on by far the most valuable tests to take.

Thanks for that. I'm saving 40 onwards for the last two or so months of prep when I'll be only taking full tests.

This is something I've consistently heard, that LR changes alot. What are the changes? If I recall I think there are less one stem two questions, but any other notably differences I should be aware of as I spend the next few weeks working on LR?

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:22 am

Clearlynotstefan wrote:You don't have to drill, but if you don't have PT 40-68 you're missing out on by far the most valuable tests to take.

OP should definitely drill

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:31 pm

armedwithamind wrote:

Ops already hitting -1s. If that -1 or -2 is always the same question type, he should drill. If he's just pushing one point around, he knows what he's doing, and timed sections and PTs are in order. Just my opinion.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:15 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
armedwithamind wrote:

Ops already hitting -1s. If that -1 or -2 is always the same question type, he should drill. If he's just pushing one point around, he knows what he's doing, and timed sections and PTs are in order. Just my opinion.

OP said he received a -1 on two sections. That doesn't necessarily tell us that all of his future performance has been around that level.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”