Prep Test 35 Game 4 #19

johnreagan

Prep Test 35 Game 4 #19

Postby johnreagan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:05 am

I don't see why R couldn't be hired in 93 or 94, which means A, D, and E, are all correct. All the explanations I have found elsewhere have assumed that each professor was only hired once, but I don't see that anywhere in the setup. Am I missing something?

Thanks,

JR

Micdiddy

Re: Prep Test 35 Game 4 #19

Postby Micdiddy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:08 am

I don't have the game in front of me, but obviously you are missing something. If professors can be hired multiple times, does that make every question invalid? If so, you should probably just assume they can only be hired once.

johnreagan

Postby johnreagan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:08 am

I believe that the only question that can be solved without that assumption is #19. After looking over the problem again, it looks increasingly like one must make an unfounded assumption to solve this. This game is kinda shaking my confidence in my ability and in the test, so I would love for someone to help reestablish it in one or the other.

I am assuming we can't post real lsac questions here or else I would post the game, is that correct?

JR

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:56 am

It's impossible for teachers to be hired in multiple years. The only possible professor that could be in two years is P. That being said, with one professor in '91 we must have P in either '90 or '92.

A) If P is placed into '90, then this answer choice is true.
B) This can never be true
C) Because of the question stim, this can never be true
D) Never possible
E) Never possible

Maybe your diagram was a little off?

johnreagan

Postby johnreagan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:03 am

I don't see why R can't be hired in multiple years. The stim doesn't say that each prof is only hired once, and the first rule doesn't say those are the only years R and M are hired.

So R could appear in 93 or 94.

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:02 am

johnreagan wrote:I don't see why R can't be hired in multiple years. The stim doesn't say that each prof is only hired once, and the first rule doesn't say those are the only years R and M are hired.

Why would they hire a professor twice? You're overthinking the game...

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:12 am

johnreagan wrote:I don't see why R can't be hired in multiple years. The stim doesn't say that each prof is only hired once, and the first rule doesn't say those are the only years R and M are hired.

If a professor were hired a second or third time, that would be a re-hiring (and would deserve a mention in the game's initial paragraph).

johnreagan

Postby johnreagan » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:26 am

I thought that a prof might be hired more than once because it didn't specify the hiring entity- If it were a university, it would make more sense to assume that each prof was hired only once, but I just didn't jump to that conclusion.

So what I am gathering is that, if a variable is repeated, the stim will mention it in some way? It was just frustrating that the game required you to make an unfounded assumption- seems very un-lsat to me.

Thanks,

JR

mindarmed

Postby mindarmed » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:30 am

johnreagan wrote:I thought that a prof might be hired more than once because it didn't specify the hiring entity- If it were a university, it would make more sense to assume that each prof was hired only once, but I just didn't jump to that conclusion.

So what I am gathering is that, if a variable is repeated, the stim will mention it in some way? It was just frustrating that the game required you to make an unfounded assumption- seems very un-lsat to me.

Thanks,

JR

Yes. HTH

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”