Reading Comprehension Stability

Josh4737

Reading Comprehension Stability

Postby Josh4737 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:58 pm

Hey everyone,

I'm currently preparing for the June LSAT and have reserved the entire month of May for practice testing. Up until then I will be drilling each section. I know I need a little work on LR as it usually is my worst section (-8-10 between the two sections). I am about to read through Manhattan LSAT and hope that will help for LR. The only problem is my RC is pretty inconsistent. When drilling I get some perfect sections and some where I get 2 wrong on one passage. On the last practice test I took (Preptest A) I scored a 169 with -0 on RC, yet was drilling difficulty level 1 problems (Cambridge Packets) I had the same inconsistency (some were -0, some were -2, one was a -3). The test before PrepTest A I scored -4 wrong on RC. Is there any way I can stabilize my RC section? Any help would be appreciated!

If it helps, some of the passages I got a few wrong I just couldn't seem to grasp the material I was reading. After I read the passage, or even during, I just had trouble comprehending what I was reading.

mlansky

Re: Reading Comprehension Stability

Postby mlansky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:21 am

Is there any trend to your mistakes? Are you reviewing thoroughly?

Sometimes I do great on the first passage and struggle on the last, but it's just because I'm losing stamina. In your case, it could be that, or it could be something else. Make sure there isn't any common theme to your mistakes before you conclude that it's an unpredictable inconsistency.

Josh4737

Postby Josh4737 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:27 am

From what I've seen it seems pretty random. They are some specific reference and some CR's. For the actual tests I tend to do better the later the sections for some reason. I get tripped up reviewing for RC though. It seems that once I find the line that gives the answer I don't know where to go/how to learn from that.

mlansky

Postby mlansky » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:51 am

About how many RC sections have you taken, including preptests?

Also, you should check Voyager's guide if you haven't: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7240

Josh4737

Postby Josh4737 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:56 am

Total I'd have to say I've done about 35-45 RC passages total. That's spread between all the level one passages in the packets and a few prep tests.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”