PT 54 S2 #25

PT 54 S2 #25

Postby kjschutte » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:55 pm

I am going over this question for practice and am really struggling with the right answer.

In my mind, D brought in outside information by talking about benefitting others whereas the question only talks about "attain[ing] a goal." Is benefitting others just included under the umbrella of attaining a goal?

I had always thought that in Must be true/inference questions, the right answer had to paraphrase what is in the question.

Any help is much appreciated!

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Re: PT 54 S2 #25

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Here's one explanation.

Re: PT 54 S2 #25

Postby sighsigh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:09 pm

Hey OP. The stimulus lists a principle. The correct answer choice will conform to that principle. In other words, the correct answer choice will contain the principle itself.

Consider this example. Principle: A fruit which is pleasing to the senses contains lots of sugar. Statement: This pineapple, which is delicious, contains oodles of fructose.

The statement conforms to the principle, because the principle can be inferred from the statement.
pineapple => fruit
delicious => pleasing to the senses
oodles of fructose => lots of sugar

This is all despite the fact that the statement contains many concepts which the principle doesn't specifically mention.

This is a slightly unusual question stem for this question, by the way. A more typical question stem would be something like "which one of the following judgments best conforms to the principle illustrated by the statements above?"

Is benefiting others just included under the umbrella of attaining a goal?

Yes. You can infer 'acting to attain a goal' from 'facing danger in order to benefit others.'

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”