Velocity Test Prep Pros and Cons?

ljcooley

Velocity Test Prep Pros and Cons?

Postby ljcooley » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Hi all! I am beginning my preparation for the LSAT, and I am trying to pick an online course as I attend UG in a small town that only offers one class which has not gotten very good reviews. I have perused through many of the posts on here, and have read some good things about Velocity. I also really liked what I saw on their website.

I was just wondering if anyone on here who has used the Velocity comprehensive course has specific things they liked or didn't like about the course, and also if you would recommend it overall as a starting point for my LSAT preparations?

natashka85

Re: Velocity Test Prep Pros and Cons?

Postby natashka85 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:38 am

I like their Rc strategy a lot,but I never took a course w them,Dave is smart and great,I just don't like that they don't teach how to eliminate the wrong answers and if they don't tell u why u got wrong ,then u will do that again.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:10 am

How do you know about their strategy if you did not take their course?
I was interested in their method too...did they teach how to attack RC somewhere?

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 am

15chocolate wrote:How do you know about their strategy if you did not take their course?
I was interested in their method too...did they teach how to attack RC somewhere?

Yes,they have free limited acess on their website,u can subscribe to it.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:23 am

Former velocity student, Thought it was great. Highly Recommend.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:54 am

Thanks, I'll check :)

ljcooley

Postby ljcooley » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:Former velocity student, Thought it was great. Highly Recommend.

Do you mind sharing what you ended up getting on the LSAT and/or how many points your score was raised from your initial practice tests?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:01 pm

ljcooley wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:Former velocity student, Thought it was great. Highly Recommend.

Do you mind sharing what you ended up getting on the LSAT and/or how many points your score was raised from your initial practice tests?

eh, I will, but its a little misleading. It's not as if velocity was the sole cause of my success. I studied my ass off for like a year, and had a strange enough score distribution that my gains were possible quickly, I used to go -1 -2 on LR and RC, and choke bad on games. Velocity had the best games program bar none. My first official score was a 164, and after taking a year, and putting in a lot of work, including velocity my last official was a 175+

ljcooley

Postby ljcooley » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:09 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:
ljcooley wrote:

eh, I will, but its a little misleading. It's not as if velocity was the sole cause of my success. I studied my ass off for like a year, and had a strange enough score distribution that my gains were possible quickly, I used to go -1 -2 on LR and RC, and choke bad on games. Velocity had the best games program bar none. My first official score was a 164, and after taking a year, and putting in a lot of work, including velocity my last official was a 175+

What other classes/materials did you use to study aside from Velocity? Overall would you say that the Velocity Comprehensive course it is a good starting point?

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:49 pm

ljcooley wrote:
Clearlynotstefan wrote:
ljcooley wrote:

What other classes/materials did you use to study aside from Velocity? Overall would you say that the Velocity Comprehensive course it is a good starting point?

Velocity and every preptest should be good. Maybe pick up a copy of Manhattan LSATs reading comp guide.

BalanceCare

Postby BalanceCare » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:56 am

Used velocity for a retest, loved it, scored high 99th percentile, headed to either H or S in the fall.

Should mention that I was already scoring 170 before velocity but it helped me break through on one section that was keeping me from 175+ scores. Even so, found it helpful for confidence and speed in the other sections as well.

Anyway: loved it, can't say enough about how awesome Dave was. Pm if you'd like details. Good luck!!!

sflyr2016

Postby sflyr2016 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:31 am

Velocity is the best course. I took powerscores, but my cousin raved about Dave and gave me her login for my retake and it helped a lot. However, I think that the Powerscores LSAT bibles are a the best way to build an LSAT foundation, but their course was not to much better than what the books will give you. Dave hits the ground running so you will get more out of his course if you have already have a foundation going into it. At least I thought so.

VegasLaw702

Postby VegasLaw702 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:39 pm

joeant wrote: Dave hits the ground running so you will get more out of his course if you have already have a foundation going into it.

Exactly. I've been doing Velocity for about 2 weeks now, after running through the bibles along with Manhattan LR. Dave assumes you have at least a foundation in place for the material, and it would certainly help. For this reason, Velocity is also popular for those retaking. Just what I've picked up from Dave in the ~12 days I have been in his course, I have bumped my PT average up 5 points, and I'm MAYBE 1/4 through his course. I'm sure I will be breaking 170 consistently when I'm done. The bibles are great, along with the Manhattan books, but seeing how a 180 scorer approaches things is, in my opinion, priceless.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”