Principle questions

nyjets2090

Principle questions

Postby nyjets2090 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi all,

I have a quick question about principle questions. I get the gist of what they are looking for, but what are the differences between approaching a question where a principle has to be "plugged" back into the stimulus and when a stimulus has to be matched with answer choices?

If I'm unclear, I'm asking what's the difference between:

Principle A

Question type

A) situation
B) situation
etc...

and

Cool information

Question type

A) Principle a
B) Principle b
etc...

Thanks!
Last edited by nyjets2090 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bp shinners

Re: Principle questions

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:38 pm

We call the first one Soft Must Be True principle questions, and they're implication questions. So you get the principle - usually a diagrammable rule or two - and then you find the answer that provides you with enough information to draw the conclusion, as put forth by the principle in the stimulus.

We call the second ones you list Strengthen questions, because someone did something in the stimulus (a situation happened), and you want to make what they did right. So you're looking for a generic restatement of what they did - literally, I want an answer that says, "If someone did what the person in the stimulus did, then the conclusion applies to them."

nyjets2090

Re: Principle questions

Postby nyjets2090 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks alot!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”