Preptest 53 Section 1 #2 logical reasoning

cneu333

Preptest 53 Section 1 #2 logical reasoning

Postby cneu333 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:23 am

I managed to eliminate all the incorrect answer choices, but I'm confused how (B) is the correct answer/point of disagreement.
I see that Elaine agrees with (B), but isn't Frederick's opinion on that matter not explicitly stated? He only says that art museums ought to acquire the works of recognized masters in order to preserve the greatest artworks, which I thought doesn't necessary mean he believes that museums don't need to represent all genres of art in their collections..
Can someone please explain why (B) is correct?

dkb17xzx

Re: Preptest 53 Section 1 #2 logical reasoning

Postby dkb17xzx » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:46 am

I'll try...

Elaine explicitly states that the goal of the every museum ought to be show works from each period, EVEN IF they are not recognized as masterpieces.

Fred, on the other hand, states that museums should only concern themselves with works of artists recognized as masters.

Elaine's concerns is inclusion for all periods whereas Fred's concerns is inclusion ONLY for the masters. They disagree about what ought be included in the museum. (B) sums it up best - Elaine agrees with it whereas Fred would say "not if they aren't from the best"

Also, this: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q2- ... c56558f320

Postby 052220151 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:23 am

dkb17xzx wrote:I'll try...

Elaine explicitly states that the goal of the every museum ought to be show works from each period, EVEN IF they are not recognized as masterpieces.

Fred, on the other hand, states that museums should only concern themselves with works of artists recognized as masters.

Elaine's concerns is inclusion for all periods whereas Fred's concerns is inclusion ONLY for the masters. They disagree about what ought be included in the museum. (B) sums it up best - Elaine agrees with it whereas Fred would say "not if they aren't from the best"

Also, this: http://www.manhattanlsat.com/forums/q2- ... c56558f320

I took this PT last night and got this one right by eliminating all the others. This is a really solid explanation though.

sighsigh

Postby sighsigh » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:12 pm

Hey OP,

Elaine obviously agrees with (B).

Frederick doesn't outright state that he disagrees with (B). But he does say that "museums ought to devote their limited resources to acquiring the works of recognized masters." This statement can be unclear because the full scope of 'devote' may be difficult to decipher. When Frederick says 'devote,' he really means completely devote. If museums should completely devote their limited resources to acquiring the works of recognized masters, then they obviously shouldn't devote any resources to representing all genres of art in their collection, since (as we just noted) all resources must be devoted to acquiring the works of recognized masters. From this, you can see Frederick disagrees with (B).

If anything still trips you up, please understand that this is not a hard inference question. It is a soft inference/support question (shown by the "provide the most support" in the question stem), in that the correct AC need not 100% follow from the stimulus, but simply has to be supported by some evidence from the stimulus.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”