Know How To Answer Every Question But Still Making Mistakes

jingosaur

Know How To Answer Every Question But Still Making Mistakes

Postby jingosaur » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:20 pm

Has anyone on here had this problem? I'm at the point where whenever I'm given an individual question, I can get it right without fail, but when doing complete PrepTests, I tend to make mistakes from rushing through questions even though I end most sections with about 5 minutes left. My scores have gotten better since my prep for the December 2012 LSAT, but I feel like I can easily get up into the 177-180 range even though careless errors are keeping me in the 172-176 range for Preptests.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and used a strategy that worked for them? I'm considering throwing away the timer for a few PrepTests and working on only getting the questions right on a case-by-case basis. A lot of the strategies on this site say that it's best to simulate actual test conditions every time so I'm not sure if not timing or timing, but not keeping an eye on the clock might not be a good strategy.

SFSpartan

Re: Know How To Answer Every Question But Still Making Mistakes

Postby SFSpartan » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm

I had this same problem. I could get every individual question right, and had tons of time at the end of sections, but would stil go -1 to -3 on each section because of careless mistakes.

My advice would be to breathe, and spend that extra time you have reading the questions carefully. That helped me eliminate careless mistakes. You may also want to look at which questions you are getting wrong, and see if you can discern any patterns. In my case, I would generally get specific types of questions wrong (due to careless reading) and knowing this helped me focus on reading these questions particularly carefully.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:47 pm

I also had a similar issue. Is there a particular section you're finding it more on? For me, I would blast through LR so fast at the beginning because I was scared of the hard questions at the end that I would make careless mistakes and have time left over, but not know what to check. I can't remember who I took the advice from, but I started doing LR at question 11, and then when I completed everything I would come back and do 1-10 at the end. It takes some practice (to make sure you bubble correctly), but I found that by tackling the harder questions first, I was better with my time (as in used more of it) and it saved me from careless mistakes.

I did the same with LG - I started on test 3, completed 4, and went back and did 1-2, assuming they would be easier. I also found that by double checking my LG answers, I would almost always change one to an incorrect answer, so I quit checking my LG. I absolutely would not recommend this for everyone, it should be used only if you are consistently second guessing and changing correct responses to incorrect ones. I still checked and corrected reading & LR.

Hope this helps. If you think it might, try it on a few practice tests.

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:09 pm

I've considered doing your LR strategy. My section performance from worst to best is RC (-3 to -5), LR (-2 to -3), LG (-0 to -1), but I think that LR is where I have the best chance of improving. I always hiccup somewhere between 13 and 22 and wind up getting a few wrong. Normally one is legitimately hard and the other 1 or 2 are just absolutely careless mistakes. I might try this going forward. Have you seen an improvement on LR since starting on 11?

For LG, I've been pretty strong as of late and don't really have a problem. I botched the section in December, hence the retake, but I think as long as I keep practicing it, mistakes won't happen again.

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:53 pm

Log your stuff into Lsatqa or some other program and make sure that you're not having issues with a particular type. Don't try to look at tests in a vacuum. Other than that, if you have some extra time at the end of sections, do a quick once-over to make sure you're not missing anything obvious, or just slow down a bit to eliminate mistakes.

fruitoftheloom

Postby fruitoftheloom » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:16 pm

goldbh7 wrote:I've considered doing your LR strategy. My section performance from worst to best is RC (-3 to -5), LR (-2 to -3), LG (-0 to -1), but I think that LR is where I have the best chance of improving. I always hiccup somewhere between 13 and 22 and wind up getting a few wrong. Normally one is legitimately hard and the other 1 or 2 are just absolutely careless mistakes. I might try this going forward. Have you seen an improvement on LR since starting on 11?

For LG, I've been pretty strong as of late and don't really have a problem. I botched the section in December, hence the retake, but I think as long as I keep practicing it, mistakes won't happen again.

I took the LSAT in October 2012. I improved from 167 in Feb 12 to 174 in October and I think starting at 11 in LR really helped me. I think being "fresh" for the hard questions is really helpful. Then I'd be tired of reading when I came back to do 1-10, but it didn't matter because they're easy.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:42 pm

NoodleyOne wrote:or just slow down a bit to eliminate mistakes.

This. I'd start developing little habits that slow you down while doing exams. If I'm seriously taking a test, I'll circle keywords that I wouldn't otherwise just to keep myself focused and slow myself down a bit so I don't make stupid mistakes.

Also, re-read the conclusion before circling an answer choice (if there's a conclusion in the stimulus). This will prevent those stupid mistakes from a qualified conclusion ("Therefore, if Professor Vallejo is correct, ...).

NoodleyOne

Postby NoodleyOne » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:04 pm

Oh, another thing is to keep track of what question-type you're answering. When I come across a sufficient assumption, I write SA in big letters beside it so I don't lose track. Underline EXCEPT questions, circle strengthen/weaken and stuff like that. Basically, go into each question like they're trying to trick you (because they are).

natashka85

Postby natashka85 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:22 pm

goldbh7 wrote:Has anyone on here had this problem? I'm at the point where whenever I'm given an individual question, I can get it right without fail, but when doing complete PrepTests, I tend to make mistakes from rushing through questions even though I end most sections with about 5 minutes left. My scores have gotten better since my prep for the December 2012 LSAT, but I feel like I can easily get up into the 177-180 range even though careless errors are keeping me in the 172-176 range for Preptests.

Has anyone been in a similar situation and used a strategy that worked for them? I'm considering throwing away the timer for a few PrepTests and working on only getting the questions right on a case-by-case basis. A lot of the strategies on this site say that it's best to simulate actual test conditions every time so I'm not sure if not timing or timing, but not keeping an eye on the clock might not be a good strategy.

In my humble opinion,u are falling for specific tricks that Lsac throws in the answer choices for LR and Rc,i would recommend to review your mistakes and each wrong answer choice carefully and memorize them why they are wrong,cause if u don`t review sth on the Lsat its gonna come up in a different way again and they will keep haunting u unless u get them right,in this situation u are not getting above 172 cause u fall for specific tricks,Lsat is designed by smart people they know how usual people think and they know what kind of tricks to use so that people will fall for it.A lot of people have tha same problem,i had the same problem and working on it in the right way will get u there.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:36 pm

NoodleyOne wrote: Underline EXCEPT questions, circle strengthen/weaken and stuff like that. Basically, go into each question like they're trying to trick you (because they are).

We did a study, and something like 1/6 incorrect answers from our students would have been correct for another question type. While some of them just got the question wrong, it's likely that a substantial number of those incorrect answers came from thinking it was a different question type.

And for EXCEPT, I always cross out what it's asking and rewrite it to make sense. Quick way is to reverse the could/must and true/false. So MUST be FALSE EXCEPT is COULD be TRUE - you just flip must to could and false to true. Works for any combination of those words.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”