Need a score to shoot for and study tips

osubucknut

Need a score to shoot for and study tips

Postby osubucknut » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:33 pm

Hi guys, I've been a longtime lurker and I just took my first "diagnostic." I started studying the logical reasoning bible in January and due to unforeseen circumstances could not finish it until April, so I definitely did not get the most out of it. I didn't want to take a diagnostic before working through part of the logic games bible since I literally could not solve the simplest game. I finished the first chapter of the logic games bible last week and took the June 07 test for my first timed "diagnostic." I scored a 156, and I was just wondering after finishing the logic games bible in the next week how should I continue studying for the June LSAT? Also, what score should I shoot for in June and if I continue to study hard, what score might I be able to improve to by the fall test? Breakdown: Logic games -8 logical reasoning combined -12 and reading comprehension -8 Thanks.

rinkrat19

Re: Need a score to shoot for and study tips

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:40 pm

You should shoot for 180. If you don't get it, you honestly evaluate whether there's anything you could have done more/better in your studying to get closer. Retake until that answer is no.

Check out Pithypike's study guide in the LSAT forum here on TLS.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:42 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:You should shoot for 180.

osubucknut

Postby osubucknut » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:59 pm

Yes, I agree with you guys but with some studying already done, a 156 on my first practice test, and under two months to prepare I guess I'm just asking what would be a realistic improvement in that short time frame?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:01 pm

osubucknut wrote:Yes, I agree with you guys but with some studying already done, a 156 on my first practice test, and under two months to prepare I guess I'm just asking what would be a realistic improvement in that short time frame?

Anywhere between zero and 24 points. There's no way to predict it. And aiming for anything lower than 180 can cripple your progress when you start getting close to your goal.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:19 pm

osubucknut wrote:Yes, I agree with you guys but with some studying already done, a 156 on my first practice test, and under two months to prepare I guess I'm just asking what would be a realistic improvement in that short time frame?

Two months is plenty of time to prepare. 170+ is not unreasonable.

tuffyjohnson

Postby tuffyjohnson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:21 pm

TripTrip wrote:

Two months is plenty of time to prepare. 170+ is not unreasonable.

This advice should be prefaced with the question of how much other stuff OP has going on from now until mid-June.

osubucknut

Postby osubucknut » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Luckily, some issues in my life have been resolved so I will be going to school full time and working part time until May 10th. After that, I will be doing nothing but studying until the test date.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:31 pm

osubucknut wrote:Luckily, some issues in my life have been resolved so I will be going to school full time and working part time until May 10th. After that, I will be doing nothing but studying until the test date.

Can you start studying now? Three weeks is not a lot of time.

osubucknut

Postby osubucknut » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, it took me three months to finish the logical reasoning bible but things have cleared up and I'm halfway through the logic games bible after a week. I am able to study almost every night for a couple hours now but starting May 11th it'll become my full time job. I really don't know where to go from here though. I'm about to purchase a ton of practice tests but after finishing the bibles should I read them again and do a couple pts a week until the test? I know there's the study guide recommended but I'm not sure how that would work since I'm behind on time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”