Max number/min number questions of LG/trial&error

15chocolate

Max number/min number questions of LG/trial&error

Postby 15chocolate » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:18 am

Is there any faster way to solve those questions other than trial and error? (Max from the biggest number etc)
And, when in the world is the time to use trial and error and when is not? How to avoid it?
Can you tell just by reading what the question is asking (question type) or only use it when you have 2 answer choices left?
Thanks.

vkr

Re: Max number/min number questions of LG/trial&error

Postby vkr » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:49 am

Good question.

I would like to get an advice on this topic too.

I usually eliminate at least 3 of the answer choices by referring to the initial game rules and the relationships between, and, then, I check any question with the hypo's scenario and the acceptability question I have done prior to this trial-and-error question.

If i am still left with two answer choices, I begin the trial-and-error approach with either of the left answer choices.

magickware

Postby magickware » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:18 pm

The method the 7sage folks use is skimming through the answer choices and removing whichever is just outright wrong and finding a tentative answer that you think is right. When you have time, you can go back and verify it. It is faster than brute forcing every single answer choice, but the reality is that there really is no other method than brute forcing and checking every single of them.

15chocolate

Postby 15chocolate » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for the responses.

I watched a few 7sage videos, but actually I felt he uses trial&error a lot...especially when there is no additional rule added in the question.
But maybe I just did not realize something, maybe he chooses which to test first seeing some contradiction between the choices.
I'll pay more attention when he uses trial&error next time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”