VegasLaw702

Postby VegasLaw702 » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:05 am

Last edited by VegasLaw702 on Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

foggynotion

Re: PT#41, LR Section #1, Question #8

Postby foggynotion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:36 am

You're kind of answering it yourself--they have two different alarm calls which correspond to the direction the attack is coming from to, as you say, "properly alert the other monkeys"...so they will know what to do to evade the attack. That's what the answer they're looking for is about (I don't have the question in front of me right now, but if I remember it right, the choice says something like, when the attack comes from land, they climb a tree, and when it comes from the air, they dive into foliage). So once they are properly alerted, they can take the proper evasive course of action. The answer you're favoring really doesn't explain why they would have two different calls--why do the monkeys find it useful to have two different calls? Not because every creature that preys upon them only can attack from one direction, that doesn't really explain why they would devise this alarm system--that sounds more like something we might try to infer, maybe, given what we know of the vervet monkeys' habits. Also, just because no predator attacks both from land and air, that doesn't mean that some predators attack by land and some other predators attack by air--it could be, let's say, that all the predators attack from air--so why have two calls? That answer choice doesn't give us enough information for us to figure out why it's important to the monkeys to know where the attack is coming from; the other answer choice does. I hope this helps!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”